myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit Booties and SHOE GOO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit Booties and SHOE GOO Reply with quote

I just bought a new pair of booties...again. Actually, two pairs of the same bootie to "stock up". I always seem to wear a hole in the sole at the same place near the pad and toe. The rest of the boot remains in perfectly good condition. I think it's from the pivots of tacks and gybes on the rough textured board. I don't like spending money on booties all the time when the rest of the boot is good. Evil or Very Mad

Idea Any of you ever tried to repair your booties with Shoe Goo? It's very popular with skaters.

I am thinking of doing a "preemptive" application on my new O'Neill booties. Perhaps this extra layer of Shoe Goo on the sole will delay the hole in the first place. Once it wears down I can reapply before it ever gets to the actual sole. Thoughts?

Another thought is to find some rubber somewhere and glue an extra layer at the front of the boot. Not sure where to find rubber for this though. Shoe Goo is cheap. In fact, I already bought a tube! I've never used Shoe Goo before and I'm reluctant to use it on my new, beautiful looking booties.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Cool
windswell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait for them to scuff down a little before gooing them. Do one boot, see if it feels weird, then do the other. Otherwise, maybe take a broken thin bicycle innertube, cut a patch and glue that down; see how that feels.
loonie2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windswell's suggestions make sense. Why potentially wreck new booties too early. I'd think a very thin layer would be best which may be hard to do with shoe Goo. One observation I've had when patching holes with shoe Goo is that it soon tears adjacent to the goo. I think the goo doesn't stretch properly so puts extra strain on the adjacent areas.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goo may also be very slippery when wet. Silicone goo sure is.

BTW ... I've been very impressed with the very wide bootie selection and great prices from swimoutlet.com. I've bought several pairs in several varieties from them, tried them out in my living room, and returned the ones that didn't work or didn't fit. At worst they may just issue store credit, but I've also gotten some full refunds ... depends on whether they were blowout or simply discount prices.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using FLEX SEAL for wetsuit repair now...pretty nice as it sprays on

It works. The TV ad with the airboat etc.

I use it pre-emptively on thinner areas to do as you are doing

Rustoleum has a similar product...I get it at Home Depot

You have to learn to spray it...thicker than you would paint something

Some boots have better bottoms than others...same for people

Neil pryde boots are thick on the bottom
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I decided to try Shoe Goo on my old booties with the holes in the sole at the big toe. Shoe Goo works surprisingly well. I applied it at the beginning of the season and have been using these patched up booties all season long. I haven't' had a need to dig out my new booties yet.

I highly recommend Shoe goo on the soles of your booties if they are otherwise in good condition like mine were.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing to keep in mind.... some booties or manufacturers will change the model of an existing bootie...but NOT change the name or item number.

example...i bought summer booties few years ago..they fit me great...super comfy..and felt like i was barefoot...but had the protection. Eventually they wore out. So a year ago...i bought the same exact pair. Only to find that they changed slightly the sole. It was a little stiffer or thicker. They were still ok....but not great. I will not be buying another pair...

btw....I hate calling booties..."booties"... but seems thats what everyone else calls them.... Confused
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just as a curiosity, what did you call them before you caved?

-Craig

skyking1231 wrote:

btw....I hate calling booties..."booties"... but seems thats what everyone else calls them.... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: