myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail Luff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a little over an inch sticking out is nothing really. It's when you've got 12" or more sticking out where things become more problematic. One thing that you have to remember about different mast lengths is that they get stiffer as they get longer. To perform properly, smaller sails need softer masts and larger sails need stiffer masts. It's the IMCS numbers in mast specifications that tells the story.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about 2cm here....less than an inch.

A 2 cm gap between the sail pulleys and the base pulleys is nothing. If it really bothers you, drop the head cap down a hair. But really, having a little room for adjustment at the base is a good thing. If you get overpowered, you can pull over, crank on some downhaul, and keep sailing.

Like others have said, the number printed on the sail is a starting point. You won't know for sure until you rig it.

smp
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not talking to swchandler here... talking to rtz - "why do you think this? I'm just curious."
< For some reason I thought it was taboo to have a bunch of mast stick out the top of the sail. >

Anyway at your level, or my level... the answer is, no, having mast sticking out the top of the sail won't make any difference to you at all.

It also won't make any difference to you... if you have a 1 cm gap at the bottom of your sail to your pulleys... or 6 cm's... no difference at all.

Check out the first 4 - 6 min of this vid. About 1/3 of these guys have 1 or 2 or 3 feet of mast sticking out the top of their sail. And yet they're still sailing and jibing and jumping windsurfers in pretty extreme conditions. The point is - if it's not bothering these guys in 35 mph wind, than it won't bother you in whatever wind you're sailing in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZMcV1YZ5k
Greg -

rtz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that because just like in that video; one of the local guys said back in the day they just ran one mast and used all their sails on it. Now I never see masts being rigged like that.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your mast is flextop and sail is hardtop (check unifiber chart), push mast up with more extension. Do the opposite for a hardtop mast into a flextop sail (ex: add tip extension).
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I thought that because just like in that video; one of the local guys said back in the day they just ran one mast and used all their sails on it. Now I never see masts being rigged like that.

There are still lots of people who sail with 10-20" of mast sticking out the top of some of their sails (I do).
It comes down to practicality and your budget... and performance (somewhat).
Back in the day, there were different length masts you could get. Or some people would cut a few inches off the top, or the bottom (or both). I did that once or twice.
But it's true, there "was not" the great selection of readily available mast lengths... that there are now (for the last 20 years).

However, what was always true... was, that you wanted your sail to rotate and perform adequately. And if your sail did... then having several inches of mast sticking out the top, is no biggie.
Usually you see people like me doing this because, we're using a smaller sail than we usually do (because of some rare WINDY day). So we don't want to buy one small mast for a rarely used little sail. And as long as the sail works good enough, it's fine.
Sail manufacturer's know this, and that's why almost all "smaller" sails (like, below 6M) come with adjustable head caps. They know most people are going to put a 460 mast into a sail with a luff of 450, so they give you an easy way to adjust the length of the head cap to whatever mast you're using.
Note - High performance sailors using high performance sails will want to use the recommended mast (or quite close to it). But for general recreational sails, maybe used in lighter wind, or by less experienced sailors (on a budget)... they will be totally fine with "some mast length" sticking out the top.

Next - Some novice oriented light wind sails (most, which have a straighter luff curve) will have A TON of head cap adjustment. You might be able to use a 400 or 430 or 460 mast in a small, light wind, novice sail. And it would work great, with no down side.
Hope this helps, Greg Smile

thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 mast and 33cm Extension.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
400 mast and 33cm Extension.

Yes Bob, that's yet another option to get a 433 luff length.

But he doesn't have a 400cm mast... and he's a new sailor, who already owns a 430 mast. It doesn't get any easier to get a 433 length, if you have a 430 mast, he certainly doesn't need to buy a 400 mast.
(rtz, just call Chinook.)
Anyway, put the mast extension at the bottom setting, and rig the sail. It's a moderate performance, recreational sail (not too picky, it's built by Ezzy for Chinook). Adjust the head cap at the top, so you have an inch or two gap at the bottom, between the tack grommet and the ext. pulleys. However it ends up with a few inches of mast out the top, and a small gap at the bottom... THIS sail will be perfect. Great sailing and easy rigging. It's not difficult Smile
Greg -

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - Just saw on another rtz thread, that "he does" have a 400 mast.
Anyway, he was talking about a 430 here. So... I guess he does have 2 masts he could rig this sail on Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: