myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuits and water temprature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shtil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 9:59 pm    Post subject: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

Hi,

What kind of protection do I need at 55F water for kitesurfing? What are the approximate guidelines for the thicknes of the suit vs water/air temprature.

Right now I only have 3/2 mm full body suit. What are my best options for additional equipment?

Thank you for you help,
--Alex
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

I wouldnt even THINK about anything less than a dry suit in 55-degree water. That stuffs life-threatening if youre immersed for long, which is a definite prospect on kites. You dont care about the air temp; thats a glove issue, not a hypothermia issue. Besides, our sessions can last much longer when we use neoprene, rather than carbos, to stay warm, saving the carbos for sailing.

Mike \m/
bronson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:48 am    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

Currently Im windsurfing in 42 degree water with air temps in the 40s and 50s. Im not very good so I spend a lot of time in the water. I use a 5-3 full suit with 5m booties and 2m Dakine mitts. Im plenty comfortable and out for hrs at a time. The key is to have a suit that fits well and doesnt circulate a bunch of cold water. I use the same suit in the summer when its in the 80s and 90s but Ive got to stop and take on water every now and then to stay cool.

Happy surfing!
motogon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:03 am    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

I use 2001 Body Glove Link 3/4. First time when I got on water this year was February 9 (Lakes Bay, NJ), water temperature was about 40-degree. No problem with this wetsuit, it works really good. Smile

Andrew
rasdpm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

i have been using a 5/3mm ProMotion, booties and cap, no gloves, in the Columbia for the past 3 weeks, starting at 44 degrees, now 47. Hands a bit chilly but really quite comfortable overall. Air temp has ranged from high 40s to high 50s. This is a golden time to sail because the cooler temps keep the river uncrowded.
raueda1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 7:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

Ive done a lot of kitesurfing in 45deg water with ONeil Zenzip 4/3, 5mm booties, hooded rashgard and thin gloves. Keeps me going in new england till december and starting again in April. No problem at all, its toasty (til you do a face plant!). The main thing is you want a good suit (taped seams etc.)AND a good fit. Thick wont help if much water pumps in and out. I got a cheapo 3/2 that leaks like a seive (for summer only) and it would be cold even if it were a 7/5. The Zenzip keeps me practically dry except wrists and ankles, close to a drysuit. Very flexible too.
rockgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits and water temprature Reply with quote

Hey buddy:
I think the more the better.
Any water under 65 degrees is cold and you should have at least a 3/2.
I just sampled 39 F waters in a 3/2 and was out of there pretty quick 45 minutes tops.
I am planning on adding a vest underneath.
They make fleece vests as well as neoprene vests.
Like you I have a 3/2 and hope not to have to buy a whole other suit.
I will let you know how this neoprene vest works out.
If you do go for a new suit consider the Trilaminar (sp?) suit that has a FLEECE lining they are supposed to be TOASTY.
Hi,

What kind of protection do I need at 55F water for kitesurfing? What are the approximate guidelines for the thicknes of the suit vs water/air temprature.

Right now I only have 3/2 mm full body suit. What are my best options for additional equipment?

Thank you for you help,
--Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: