myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting into the Footstraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does wind direction determine footstrap setup in any way? For example, if it's blowing on-shore would you configure the straps differently than if it's side-shore? Inboard vs outboard, width between front and back, distance from the tail, loose vs tight.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, I don't think so. I say that because many of my favorite boards don't have any footstrap adjustment positions. I have others that have a choice of adjustment between slightly inboard versus outboard front footstaps on one board or a choice between a single or double strap in the back on another board (both choices have no back or forward options). I'm of the opinion that the board designer selects the best strap locations relative to the board's planing rockerline and the fin. I feel that less choices tend to yield better results.

That said, I realize that most production brands have so many choices. As a result, it has most folks lost about what works best. They're forced into a series of experiments to find out how things really work. Some may not make the optimum choice and learn what's best.
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Front foot - back foot. Early gybe entry (lots of mistakes) Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
I think it's time I captured some more sailing videos to see if improvements are obvious

PeconicPuffin has seen and commented usefully on my older videos. So I'm keen to get some more happening and see what's happening.

Winter and fickle winds approach Sad

Cheers Jeff

A year down the windsurf learning curve
Slowly slowly working on my obvious issues

Attended a Guy Cribb free ride session last week

Finally I have a video update-

https://youtu.be/hqCxTSyGYAU

Any progress observed?

Cheers Jeff
Ps. Feeling excited about my sailing
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero, foot strap positions greatly depend on the types of boards they are on.

race and flat water with larger sails = outboard positions

wave boards = inboard positions

long boards = seemingly all over the place.

sometimes, designers want to enable folks to use foot straps early on in their learning curve, so one may see beginner stage positions way forward and inboard. i am not sure they are much use for very long in any consumer's life. but, those types of boards are in the market place.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front foot - back foot. Early gybe entry (lots of mistakes) Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
[

Finally I have a video update-

https://youtu.be/hqCxTSyGYAU

Any progress observed?

I think you look good! You're in both straps, yes?

With time you'll get more comfortable and hike out more, and use a little more mast base pressure to get the nose down so you're skimming even more, but to me you look like you've definitely improved. How do you feel about your sailing (besides being excited!!?

jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Front foot first - making progress Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

I think you look good! You're in both straps, yes?

With time you'll get more comfortable and hike out more, and use a little more mast base pressure to get the nose down so you're skimming even more, but to me you look like you've definitely improved. How do you feel about your sailing (besides being excited!!?

Yes both feet in straps
After 2 years of struggle with lots of compensating habits I managed to crack the foot strap progress on day 1 of the Guy Cribb course

He identified a couple of issues per his theory of strapping- pump, look for front strap, position rear foot touching back strap, front foot in, pump to umweight rear foot & stick that rear foot in. He was adamant that the sooner you are strapped up the better

After an hour practicing on the beach - out onto the water and it just worked (#priceless)

>how do I feel about my sailing?
I was starting to beat up on myself for spending so much time floundering with footstraps and hopping off to turn around whilst my mates were obviously accelerating past me with their progress

Feel rebooted after the 3 day course - lots to work on
Been out twice since and continuing success with early planing and footstraps
Staying on board much more - mainly short board tacks

Getting stable with lightwind gybe - working on getting my planing gybe past the ‘stomp and throw’ stage .... did get a 15knt alpha Very Happy (enjoyed your blog on gybe analysis)

Water starting with the one foot method in a more dynamic fashion
Happy with my speed - although my mate wiped my regular 25-26knts of the local ‘intermediates’ leader board with a 28knt blast in high winds Mad

My 13yo son is pushing me to keep up.... my new coach?
#prouddad video
https://youtu.be/9LAUZMh0PbY

Cheers Jeff
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your 13 year old son?!?!?!?!?!
Geez, he's great... how cool is that... wow, I'm very impressed.

To do what he's doing there, takes a long time, and tons of practice. He's really something... putting out that effort and dedication.

No kidding you must be VERY proud. What a special thing to share together Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: