myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who makes the best boom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89Spring wrote:
How about HPL. I have two carbon HPL booms that are now 10 years and going strong. Have zero concern. I ended up with HPL after Berkeley Boardsports warrantied two Chinook. After the second I said no more something different please. That is why I prefer to buy from a local source as opposed to online, just better, easier and local business. That said carbon booms are so much better than an alloy. I might think about cheap alloy if I was spending lots of time wave sailing in some bad shore break.

Those Utah-made HPL carbon booms are really solid. The plastic parts sometimes wear out, but they can be replaced/retrofitted. The earliest versions were the best. I think they were labeled "hybrid carbon". They were made w/ table rolled extension tubes bonded to a molded carbon end piece. Still see a lot of those original HPL booms on the beach.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a larger 2004 carbon HPL that I retrofitted with the Maui Sails front end. Believe me, the upgrade was a vast improvement over the original one. If you do it, I can promise that you won't regret it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have 2 of those in use!

-Craig

kevinkan wrote:

Those Utah-made HPL carbon booms are really solid. The plastic parts sometimes wear out, but they can be replaced/retrofitted. The earliest versions were the best. I think they were labeled "hybrid carbon". They were made w/ table rolled extension tubes bonded to a molded carbon end piece. Still see a lot of those original HPL booms on the beach.
theconverted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this is a thread jack, but does anyone have any opinions on the old fiberspar booms? I recently picked two up for way too cheap, but have yet to use them.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection is that the twist locks for the extension adjustments would wear out pretty fast, causing the boom to shorten without warning.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theconverted wrote:
I apologize if this is a thread jack, but does anyone have any opinions on the old fiberspar booms? I recently picked two up for way too cheap, but have yet to use them.

I bought 3 of them, different sizes, used, about 6 or 7 years ago. Still using them with no issues. I'm 200 lbs and have used them in windy Gorge conditions numerous times... that being said, I try to be easy on gear. And I am careful to use the twist locks, "just right"... I don't rush it, cause I don't want to break them. But like I said, all is well. They adjust fine (with care) and I've never had em slip or any other issue.

Note - when I buy something used, and I'm going to use it in high wind... I use it during a popular, nice day, with other people around (and stay a bit closer to the beach). Only after I've "tested it" that way, will I use it in the winter, during a cold, dark stormy day (when there is nobody around). Anyway, that caution has worked for me.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I got a twist lock kit from my local shop. Looks like these guys might still have them:
http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6683
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
My recollection is that the twist locks for the extension adjustments would wear out pretty fast, causing the boom to shorten without warning.

that could happen. but I have an old Fiberspar boom which I use with my 8.5 Neil Pryde V8. After 10 years, it is still going strong. And it's darn light.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old Fibs from the '90s do really well, until the arm at the front end snaps from the joint between the arm and the head. Wrap glass around, about 3 layer's, can make them last seemingly foreever.
The wide bend is nice on freeride and slalom sails.
You can extend the life of the adjusters by layering two layers of electrical tape on the notch's, making them hold without slipping.
Always extend and retract the arms slowly.
Was sailing Sat. on a 1995 WH tapered boom, a 1997 North Convert 5.2, and a '04 JP FSW 84, all parts working as well as anything could work.
theconverted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I got the pair for less than it would cost for 1 set of replacement collars, so I guess I did pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: