myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tuesday - MA Coast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Tuesday - MA Coast Reply with quote

Looks like we getting a June Noreaster tomorrow. Still not certain where I will be heading. Right now I am thinking Hull, MA.

Lars
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking Google Maps. Looks like Plum Island could be interesting. Check the break just offshore. Looks like there is a parking lot right at the orange dot at Metsy's. Has anyone sailed here before?

Lars

plum.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.85 KB
 Viewed:  18555 Time(s)

plum.jpg

windswell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern end of Plum Is. is rarely good and a long drive. Southern tip works better, launching from Cranes Beach or Pavillion Beach in Ipswich, but VERY strong currents, cold water, really need 3 people to make it safe. I don't know if anyone sails there anymore. I moved 20 years ago. . Wingaersheek has fewer challenges and similar NE setup, esp if you get upwind to mouth of Esssex River.

Lots NE setups further south, both sides of Boston. and closer if you're coming from the South. If already North, go further North to NH or So. Maine.
zeppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to hit Nahant early afternoon. Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier. I would not personally go to Hull in NE, likely a little too onshore with some nasty shore break but let us know if you give it a go.
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeppy,

Thanks for the tidbit. I was thinking that it may be too much onshore.

Did some Google Map and Streetview searching and may end up in Winthrop, down on Shirley towards Deer Island. Looks more exposed than Nahant which looks like the wind is coming off the land of Marblehead on a NE.

Lars
zeppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't actually gain much being out there. I've never been out there when the swell is just right, but I've heard that it can be good when it is. Curious to hear other thoughts but we usually just go to Nahant when its NE. Parking is a bit of a pain, you have to park along the sea wall and get over it to get to the beach. It's also a bit of a schlog to drive out there during the day.
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zep,

What about Green Harbor?
zeppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Not clear that swell will build enough but will keep an eye on it.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesterlh wrote:
Zeppy,

Thanks for the tidbit. I was thinking that it may be too much onshore.

Did some Google Map and Streetview searching and may end up in Winthrop, down on Shirley towards Deer Island. Looks more exposed than Nahant which looks like the wind is coming off the land of Marblehead on a NE.

Lars

I used to run East of Air right at that beach. I likely would not have agreed to the huge effort to build a fantastic windsurfing operation if not for Shirley access and how close it is to that point break. The break needs a decent swell, but when it gets it it can be anything from side on to a perfect side-off down the line left.

I've not been to that property since the Town pulled the plug with some very unwholesome behavior in late 2011. We busted our hump to clean the lot, and I filled a dumpster with rusty metal and hundreds of hypodermic needles. We created a park atmosphere.

Be very, very careful about cutting yourself on the trash that's certainly returned. The sailing can be epic, but the walk to the beach? Not so much.

donwh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I heard Town Neck in Sandwich was good in a NE...?
Always looking for NE (wave) sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: