myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is foiling the future of light wind windsurfing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too old to teach this dog a new trick, but if I was younger and had all the water time I wanted and needed a new challenge, foiling would be an option, specially if I sailed in a generally light wind venue. More of a flash in the pan in my opinion, and I doubt many will be foiling regularly if the wind is 18+.

I just noticed that the PWA is offering slalom/foil races for the last two events. Some video, but none showing the jibing - interesting!!
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bic Techno? Reply with quote

jroberts wrote:
Any opinions on if a Bic Techno would serve ok as a foil board? I have one I was *giving* away, but now maybe it has more value as I want to try the foiling. Thanks, Jeff

If you have the newer techno 133 or 148 liter with deep Tuttle finbox then it just became very valuable as a foil board.

https://www.bicsport.com/windsurf/accessories/detail-product/foil.html
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learning curve (not including the foiling jibe) is very fast for an experienced windsurfer, but I am curious if someone who never windsurfed before (and lives in a light wind area) could learn to uphaul on a beginner board and progress to foiling without ever learning to waterstart or use a harness. With a little pumping you can get up on the foil in less wind than it takes to waterstart and once you are foiling, the pull in the sail is so light that you don't really need to hook in.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
But has ANYONE here experienced the lightwind ability of the foil vs the light wind ability of windsurfing? Which is what this post should be about...maybe?
Lots of videos showing foils zipping while beginner windsurfer's are slogging in the background.
What about real experience? Anyone?

I have seen Dale Cook flying upwind on a 5.6 Hucker and LP foil when the kiters are swimming in because there is not enough wind to relaunch their inflatable kites. To me, that is absolute proof of the light wind ability of the windsurf foils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGa42JmikbQ
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Looks like no back strap needed. So, not only do you get to go sans harness, if you want, you can also go sans back strap.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the F4 Foil and JP 155 Foil Board on order, expecting to get it within 2 weeks. I can post an update at that time.

I can tell you at my location there is a windfoiler who is now out on days he would not even consider with his regular equipment, and he comes in and says it was magical. He does not go out without the foil now.

I think that is pretty special when you have someone tripling their windsurfing days, and extremely excited on days that would normally be a no go.

I just enjoyed a video on Facebook of Robby Naish out on his new foil equipment, 6 to 10 knots, a 4.7 sail, going along with one hand holding his GoPro, talking about how foiling has the same connection with the water, maybe even more.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once foil boards are raced quite a bit by pros, I wonder if the sail makers will develop different sails that work in lighter winds - more efficient for foiling conditions?

It will be fun to see if they bring out a line of "foil" sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Pryde already has a foil sail, looking like a slalom sail, but the upper batterns look like twin mini battens, so it's lighter in weight and less stable, better for lighter winds per size.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That NP Foil Sail will be my next purchase once I get my board.

They are advertising it as "superior control and stability".

http://www.neilpryde.com/sail/foil/rs-flight.html

Julian Bontemps won this years Defi Wind with that sail in an 8.8 size on the JP Foil Board and F4 Foil.

https://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/13665-julien-bontemps-foils-to-victory-at-the-2017-defi-wind
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing whispers about the devastating faceplants possible with this new sport. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: