myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail downhaul eyelet vs pulley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! Right on NOVAAN! "who cares". My lip is raw from bitting it every day cause I just want to say "who cares".
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure what sails you are all using but I have to say that 2016 Elite is very very impressive. Not sure it's the tack strap doing its job Wink but at 15-21 knots I'm fully planing on 4.5 with my 68kgs (150lbs) and 81L. Not only that but the sail remains composed at the slackest setting in gusts and the power remains low (this is super important to me) which means I can commit and not get surprised, it's 100% usable and manageable. So if it does come up to 17-23 then I can continue on riding with the same setting, no problem. At 19+ I then need more outhaul at least.

Yesterday I checked the foot of the sail while wiggling my back hand pumping. It was obvious that this area provides hand feedback when pumping. I guess I could do a back-to-back testing tensionned and not-tensionned (blind test would be best!) and end all bickering. The amount of power I get from the sail may determined if, yes or no, I will be able to grab a wave or get out of a situation.

I'd like to emphasize this one more time and then I'll stop, I promise!

If there's little tension down there there's power being lost, there's also stability issues. It all adds up. Especially when you have fewer battens, higher bottom batten, soft material, etc. So for a sail requiring light downhaul tension, a grommet would be the best design, just like the one we have for the outhaul!

I have noticed good tension down low on other sails so it's not a problem on all for sure. Now if any of you have read reviews on the Elite or the Taka2, or better tested them for yourself, I'm sure you wouldn't be so skeptical Razz

I'm often "grabbing" that area for light wind waterstarts (I do lots of those) so when it's slack it "feels" wrong for sure.

Anyway, for the type of sailing I do, unfortunately cms matter but I'm sure I'm not the only one... Laughing

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in foot shape was enormous in that Ezzy video. Anyone who thinks that doesn't matter should make their own sails. A small sail presents the same basic needs as a larger sail. You want balanced power.

If a sail is not down hauled nearly block to block, it will make the bottom of the mast behave as if it is stiffer, or the sail feel like it has less luff curve. Either way, the power delivery is not the best that can be achieved. The tack strap pulls the clew toward the mast, returning the shape that the designer worked so hard to achieve and make consistent in production.

Some things might be gimmicks. Anything that actually imparts shape into a sail is not a gimmick but part of the entire tuning package. Proper use of one aspect makes the others behave as intended.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be joking, right?

I have to say that I have many sails that can be downhauled all the way to the pulleys. Having a extra strap is meaningless, especially on wave sails with a high cut foot.

I do have some larger sails made by Bill Hansen that have tack straps. Do they really change the shape of sails in the lower foot to make a real difference? I don't think so. It's just another bit of extra nonsense that complicates things without much return, especially if one downhauls to the pulleys.

I have to ask though, should all sails be designed to have luffs and tack straps like Ezzy does them?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
Do they really change the shape of sails in the lower foot to make a real difference? I don't think so. It's just another bit of extra nonsense that complicates things without much return, especially if one downhauls to the pulleys.

My Maui Sails race sails all have tack straps. They help keep the foot of the sail tight instead of flapping loose if the tack strap isn't pulled tight.

To bring the foot of the sail as low as possible and to close the gap, the sail extends well below the pulleys, but needs to be pulled tight. However, I doubt that I could tell the difference between a tight foot and a loose foot on my sails. Conceptually, a good design, but for many, it likely doesn't make any difference. However, I do always pull them tight, and I would guess that the PWA slalom racers all have them and pull them tight.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You must be joking, right?

I have to say that I have many sails that can be downhauled all the way to the pulleys. Having a extra strap is meaningless, especially on wave sails with a high cut foot.

I do have some larger sails made by Bill Hansen that have tack straps. Do they really change the shape of sails in the lower foot to make a real difference? I don't think so. It's just another bit of extra nonsense that complicates things without much return, especially if one downhauls to the pulleys.

I have to ask though, should all sails be designed to have luffs and tack straps like Ezzy does them?

Not joking at all. A tack that is far away (several centimeters) from the mast will change the way the sail's bottom section interacts with the mast.

I sat with Phil McGain and Barry Spanier who showed me exactly what the strap does and why. Granted, this was an 11.0 FW sail, but the principals remain the same. The feeling with no tension was miles away from the feeling with it properly tensioned. Power was improved out of the hole and more locked at speed.

The effect on a sail of a fixed amount of tension has everything to do with how much luff curve the sail has, the mast stiffness and bend curve percentages, whether the sail is cammed or RAF, and the seam shaping in the lower sail body. I know I sound like the Man from Tri-Cities when I declare so many variables, but you asked an absolute question. No, I'd imagine not every sail benefits to the degree necessary to justify the expense and added complexity of a tack strap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: