myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Non-Skid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll address the polyurethane vs epoxy question. I seriously doubt there is much strength or durability difference between polyurethane and epoxy. The real difference is how different varieties age. Most epoxies yellow with age. Some urethanes yellow with age. Eva recommends a non-yellowing epoxy available from Fiberglass Hawaii. I recommend a matte finish urethane because it helps make the finish look uniform even though it may actually be blotchy. It is somewhat difficult to spread the acrylic dust perfectly even. The matte finish helps hide some of that unevenness. As far as I know, epoxy is not available in a matte finish.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, which would be easier to apply and is the polyurethane product you use found at stores? Also what is it's typical use, marine or auto or...

Thanks.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any old world flower sifter should work for a somewhat even distribution of whatever grit you use, but any help in a better looking finish is good, so,
matte urethane seems like a good choice to me.

-Craig

thombiz wrote:
I'll address the polyurethane vs epoxy question. I seriously doubt there is much strength or durability difference between polyurethane and epoxy. The real difference is how different varieties age. Most epoxies yellow with age. Some urethanes yellow with age. Eva recommends a non-yellowing epoxy available from Fiberglass Hawaii. I recommend a matte finish urethane because it helps make the finish look uniform even though it may actually be blotchy. It is somewhat difficult to spread the acrylic dust perfectly even. The matte finish helps hide some of that unevenness. As far as I know, epoxy is not available in a matte finish.
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polyurethane I use is primarily used for autos. As far as I know, it is only available thru Ebay. I was passing thru Louisiana/Mississippi and tried to find a brick and mortar store without success. I planned to buy on site and save the shipping costs to no avail. It can be sprayed, but I suggest the foam roller because it is readily available, does a good job, and doesn't require a spray unit, respirator, ventilation, compressor, and extended clean-up. I have used tints in the urethane to airbrush graphics on my own boards. I get the tints at US Composites.

I have used polyester based urethanes like Awlgrip and other urethanes like Imron but they are much more expensive. Last I checked a quart of Imron activator ran about $180. I an get a quart kit of Urekem for $65 and the quality is generally comparable.

The UreKem urethane nonskid lasts several years without much degradation in non-skid qualities or appearance qualities.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area, Salt Lake, one can go to an specialty auto paint supplier like Superior Automotive and get high quality two-component urethane such as Imron pre-mixed (resin and catalyst together) and loaded into a spray can. They offer this for auto repair and other places that are doing touch-up work. Superior color matches to any chip you bring in, or will provide clear.

Since it's pre-catalyzed, it won't last very long, but if you put it into the refrigerator to chill it between applications, it'll still spray for about a week. Easily long enough to do your board coats.

Never tried to get it with a matte agent (or "flattening agent") added, but they should be able to do it. So check around your area and see if you have any auto paint specialty stores that do color compounding/matching and see if they offer this service.

Multi-component urethane stays true to color much longer than epoxy and is a very tough resin, so it's good stuff. It's generally much better than a single-component urethane. Good luck!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superior Automotive are who I use for spray in. It's not inexpensive, but
you get exactly what you want (or at least exactly what you spec ;*) ).

-Craig

dmilovich wrote:
In our area, Salt Lake, one can go to an specialty auto paint supplier like Superior Automotive and get high quality two-component urethane such as Imron pre-mixed (resin and catalyst together) and loaded into a spray can. They offer this for auto repair and other places that are doing touch-up work. Superior color matches to any chip you bring in, or will provide clear.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=413

It's all I've used on scores of boards, for many performance reasons, since I discovered it ~30 years ago.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling on a thick coat of Redek works for me. I just sprinkle some granulated sugar on it before it drys to make it rougher. Excess sugar washes off after it drys and makes a nice rough surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: