myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tuesday - MA Coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not sailed nahant in 30 years, can be great in ne. I lived in boston back then and started going to cape cod due to water quality issues. Got nasty stomach bug after a ne sesh. Clean now i guess. Would not worry about the wind shadow, clean waves make up for it. Report back, im working. Jp
zeppy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed to Nahant or another North Shore beach shortly.

Last edited by zeppy on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Just got back from sailing 4 hours at Winthrop. Arrived there at 6 AM and was on the water by 6:20.

Sailed solo with the 4.0 with the 69L Fanatic NewWave. Beautiful breaking waves by the Point and Victory at Sea conditions near Deer Island. Have to say that the beach did not have any trash. Wish I knew about this place before, will definitely return.

Lars
zeppy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got the best of it today. The wind faded in the afternoon and ended up on a 6.3 / 110 quad. Waves were nice, over head; could have used a smaller sail. I guess I'll have to be more optimistic about Winthrop having heard your positive report. How big were the waves and were they breaking left?

Last edited by zeppy on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably around 7-8 feet. Breaking left... Waves diffracted a little around the point.

Lars
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesterlh wrote:
Dan

Just got back from sailing 4 hours at Winthrop. Arrived there at 6 AM and was on the water by 6:20.

Sailed solo with the 4.0 with the 69L Fanatic NewWave. Beautiful breaking waves by the Point and Victory at Sea conditions near Deer Island. Have to say that the beach did not have any trash. Wish I knew about this place before, will definitely return.

Lars

I'm very pleased to learn about the condition of that beach. When asked to open a brand new facility the thing that really sold me was direct access to a down the line point break! Deer Island can be very challenging due to huge gusts near the NE side. If you launch from the west side (climb over the guardrail) wear boots and walk from the corner out a bit. It's really fun to rip across Winthrop Harbor and approach the runways at Logan. I also enjoyed launching into the harbor, sailing into the channel then around Deer Island to land at the beach.

DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

It is really disappointing that you had to close down. It is definitely a prime location with access to the water from both the west and east.

Probably one of windiest spots in the Boston area. The Deer Island meter is probably the best meter that would represent the conditions at Yirrell. With the addition of the Ted Williams tunnel it made it one of the more accessible spots for me in the Boston area.

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: