myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windfoil Technique??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Windfoil Technique?? Reply with quote

A question for those that have experience with this... or those that are such students of the sport, that they already know (even without doing it).

Windfoiling up and down wind !?!?!?

I know how to windsurf up and down wind on longboards, and all shortboard derivatives.
And I haven't even tried it on my LP windfoil yet, cause I've just started, and will be practicing flying straight and level for a while.
HOWEVER, when I do want to foil up and down wind... what do you think the technique is?
Maybe the same? I don't know.
Move the COE around compared to the CLR to get where you want to go?
Maybe?
Or - with that wing you have flying through the water... do you bank it like a plane, to steer up and down wind?
I don't follow kitesurfing at all... but it seems I've seen pics of kitefoil racers ripping upwind, with their board tipped hard to windward?
Whatcha all think?
Thanks Smile

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been rigging with 3-8 foiler's for a couple year's now, old buds who used to Formula race and slalom race against me back 25 year's ago...
Upwind technique is just a balanced body position with the sail a little back from reaching, the board very slightly tipped to windward, unlike Formula, where the board is flat or even barely tipped leeward.
Foils allow flying at lower board speeds, so ideal for pushing upwind and running downwind. It's a natural to go really high and really low, opening up your sailing angles like Formula, but with freeride/slalom sized sails.
What's a little scary is pushing your limits trying to stay with a fast freeride or slalom sailor. Control of a normal foil get's sketchy, and probably a smaller wing combination would cure the problem, making it necessary to possibly need a bigger sail, thus negating the idea of foiling for light wind conditions.
Antoine Albeau, a PRO big dude sailor, can keep up with rec slalom sailors in board speed on a reach, and probably close to pro slalom sailors, but he's like the top dog in slalom a few year's ago.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Z... good tip... makes sense!!
So for heading upwind - tip the rig back a bit from a balanced position, and tip the board to windward a bit.
I suppose I'll figure out how much windward tipping to do... cause if too much, and I imagine it's carve right up wind, then slow down, then stall. The experimentation will be fun.

How about for downwind?
Probably the same but opposite?
Maybe - Steer the board downwide by tipping it to leeward, change my stance a bit, open up the sail a bit, tip the rig forward a bit (or whatever's needed to keep the nose level...

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, we don't have a kite to lift us to windward like a kiter on foil, so we need to keep the board much flatter compared to kitefoiler's. Yes, I've windsurfed with several kitefoiler's, buds who are making foils and on the leading edge of foiling revolution.
For downwind, it's trickier and scarier for everyone. The tenuous balance of Formula downwind is doubled. You're at the point of getting launched constantly, so you don't use the harness and feather the sail to find the minimal power needed to sustain the downwind direction in the winds you're foiling. It's a total balancing act, but the better foil rider's are beating the best Formula racer's in angle downwind.
I suspect, but don't know, that the ultimate combo for upwind and downwind "sailing", is the foil kite, foil combo, used by most of the kiterboard racer's around here and in Puerto Rico. Of course, they don't want to see a lull of minus 6 mph, so need wide open venues with clear flat land or water upwind to keep the wind steady.
Windsurf foiling allows sailing in gusty conditions, as the big board float well slogging and you can always paddle the top of the mast back home after disassembling your sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: