myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard Inflatable Blend, first impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AG80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Starboard Inflatable Blend, first impressions Reply with quote

Thought I would post my impressions on this board. I found very few user reviews on inflatables when I was researching for my purchase.

Board stats:
Length 11'3", width 32", weight 25 lbs with fins
Weight in the backpack with footstraps, pump, and 2 fins: 33 lbs

Intended use: travel- Primarily to the in-laws who live on the west coast of Florida, but will also pack with my other boards when going to the Texas coast. Also for teaching, and for friends and family who wish to SUP or windsurf in light conditions and are novice level. I will use to SUP and sail on flat water and small surf.

Impressions:
The board pumps up easily with the supplied pump. Dual action initially and then switched to single action to get to the recommended PSI. I pumped to 16-17 PSI. The board is pretty firm at this level. Took <10 min to pump. It has a mast track insert which is inserted as the board initially inflates. Also has foot strap inserts. It is a tight fit to get into the backpack with all the accessories

In SUP mode: There is a very slight give under foot when stepping on the board. Takes a little getting used to, but not a problem. Actually is very comfortable when I went on a 6.5 mile cruising paddle. The board is otherwise very firm. Tracks very well, I could paddle on one side as long as I pleased, counted 50 strokes before I decided to switch. You have to step back on the board to make any kind of tight turn. Paddled in flat water and also in a choppy lake. Very stable, glides well, and easy cruising board. Speed is about the same as other all-around boards I have paddled.

Under sail: I attached my 6.5 m Ezzy Cheetah to the mast track insert. Was a good attachment. I really like the insert. I don't know that it is better than a glued on mast insert, but it gives me more confidence. Sails better than I anticipated. Stays upwind without the center fin, but definitely better with the center fin attached. Had gusts to about 18 mph and continued to accelerate. It did "plane". Not like a hard board, but could tell that is was releasing from the water and not just plowing. There are footstrap inserts and supplied footstraps, at this point I don't think I would use them. Might be helpful for those learning how to use footstraps, but I am not sure they would be of any real benefit.

Haven't been in waves yet, but it did catch boat chop easily in SUP and sail mode.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase for it's intended use. I used to own a Fanatic Fly 11 ft and this board would compare favorably with that particular board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: