myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Repairing Naish 8'5" ding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 8:52 pm    Post subject: Repairing Naish 8'5" ding Reply with quote

Howdy,
Ive never repaired a ding on a carbon board so I dont know the technique. Ive repaired many surfboards over the years but Im sure that this is different. Basic instructions would be appreciated. The ding is on the rail (maybe a boom?) and is about the size of a quarter and was oozing some salt so is taking in water. If it wasnt for the salt ooze I probably wouldnt have seen it at all. How do I seal this material? Thanks.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 1:18 am    Post subject: RE: Repairing Naish 8'5 Reply with quote

You need to dry it out first, then its sanding the area down, and applying glass and resin.
sanding that smooth when hard, and then spray it with some auto primer/paint.

I believe its pretty straight forward, Ill check to make sure this is correct.

you can also use some aqua mend (ding stick) if its a small hole.
theq

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 10:50 am    Post subject: RE: Repairing Naish 8'5 Reply with quote

spyder:Thanks for your response. Do I use epoxy resin or can I use polyester resin? Epoxy would be my first guess but it would just be a guess.
spyder

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: RE: Repairing Naish 8'5 Reply with quote

epoxy resin is fine if it is a small ding, but if larger the heat will damage the foam unless you use slow epoxy.
kaptekarev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Repairing Naish 8'5 Reply with quote

As long as the original layup was epoxy (which is probably the case with a carbon board), polyester resin willl likely eat the foam inside your board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: