myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Options on a car for board transport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. 58,989 miles on it and the only thing that has "broken" is the windshield washer ports seem partially plugged.

I always get over 21 mpg even in city driving and higher on the highway.

The benefits of this minivan can be found further up the post.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on purchase.
2014 Chrysler Town&Country
Days looking at Honda Element, VW Routan, vw Tiguan , Buick Encore, Honda Odyssey.

The Chrysler is updated a lot from my 2003 and 2006, much better power,refinement, bells whistles, DVD, hard drive . Still has the best by far Stow n go, flat cargo area. Cross bars on the roof rack store on the rails, if desired. It has several feature I like more than the Dodge Grand Caravan, removeable center console for one.
This has much more than I need, but will travel cross country in comfort.

I will update the Mpg , road figures.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Update on purchase.
2014 Chrysler Town&Country
Days looking at Honda Element, VW Routan, vw Tiguan , Buick Encore, Honda Odyssey.

The Chrysler is updated a lot from my 2003 and 2006, much better power,refinement, bells whistles, DVD, hard drive . Still has the best by far Stow n go, flat cargo area. Cross bars on the roof rack store on the rails, if desired. It has several feature I like more than the Dodge Grand Caravan, removeable center console for one.
This has much more than I need, but will travel cross country in comfort.

I will update the Mpg , road figures.

Good choice U2.
My 2015 Dodge Caravan SE model has removable console, you may have looked at a different model.
30k miles, no problems. Consumer Reports has unjustly panned Chrysler products for many years. I think Toyota and Honda must pay them under the table. My last van was an Odyssey, thinking since everyone raves about Hondas,it would last 200k. The A/C went out at 130k ($1200 to fix) and the tranny went out at 155k even though I changed the ATF every 30k.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

The Dodge 2014, I think was a GXT, and the console was fixed.

Many inprovments were done since my 2006. The electrics concern me some.

It's very quiet , rides great, all the room I need. It was interesting to explore other possibilities, and see how far ahead it is.

VinceSF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes Metris: very comfortable, amazing engine (turbo/7 speed) 26 miles to the gallon and obviously tons of space in the back.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:
Mercedes Metris: very comfortable, amazing engine (turbo/7 speed) 26 miles to the gallon and obviously tons of space in the back.

Regular Use in urban areas, must be painful. Price is beyond most to afford.
Not a realistic option.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
My last van was an Odyssey, thinking since everyone raves about Hondas,it would last 200k. The A/C went out at 130k ($1200 to fix) and the tranny went out at 155k even though I changed the ATF every 30k.

From what I hear, I think you were lucky to get 155K on the Odyssey tranny
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
carl wrote:
My last van was an Odyssey, thinking since everyone raves about Hondas,it would last 200k. The A/C went out at 130k ($1200 to fix) and the tranny went out at 155k even though I changed the ATF every 30k.

From what I hear, I think you were lucky to get 155K on the Odyssey tranny

At about 80k, when I found out they had tranny problems, I installed an ATF cooler too. That probably helped.
marc5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my own search for a windsurfing/AWD-4WD/farm-towing vehicle: Ford Expedition EL (stretch). Same size as Suburban. Before the howls begin about absurd size and poor mileage, hear my story. I originally thought that a minivan would work, plus a pickup truck for towing (2 vehicles). The only minivan made with AWD or 4WD is a Toyota Sienna. We almost bought it, until we learned that it has run-flat tires--no spare. And it gets only about 18 mpg. Imagine getting a flat late at night in the middle of nowhere and you can drive only 50 miles. Deal breaker.

We then started looking at SUVs. The Ford Expedition EL can handle all my sailing gear in back without encroaching into the driver's area (8' cargo area, all flat). It also has great rooftop rails if you need to add a rack. Many vehicles have lousy rails today. It can tow 9200 lbs, gets 18mpg mixed, and of course has 4WD. It also handles as well as the Sienna--and is more quiet. Granted, it's not for everyone--it's big. But if you get a stripper or a used one, you get a lot of truck for your money. And we didn't need to buy a pickup.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
Just finished my own search for a windsurfing/AWD-4WD/farm-towing vehicle: Ford Expedition EL (stretch). Same size as Suburban. Before the howls begin about absurd size and poor mileage, hear my story. I originally thought that a minivan would work, plus a pickup truck for towing (2 vehicles). The only minivan made with AWD or 4WD is a Toyota Sienna. We almost bought it, until we learned that it has run-flat tires--no spare. And it gets only about 18 mpg. Imagine getting a flat late at night in the middle of nowhere and you can drive only 50 miles. Deal breaker.

We then started looking at SUVs. The Ford Expedition EL can handle all my sailing gear in back without encroaching into the driver's area (8' cargo area, all flat). It also has great rooftop rails if you need to add a rack. Many vehicles have lousy rails today. It can tow 9200 lbs, gets 18mpg mixed, and of course has 4WD. It also handles as well as the Sienna--and is more quiet. Granted, it's not for everyone--it's big. But if you get a stripper or a used one, you get a lot of truck for your money. And we didn't need to buy a pickup.

thanks for the great review

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: