myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Accuracy of sensors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Roosevelt averaging 24 mph I prefer a 5.7 @170#. If the averages were mostly below 24 I'd just stay with the 6.2 I'd have started on, if mostly higher I'd get by on the 5.2 I started on. I'm still having fun on the 5.2 until it's averaging 30, would streak (or slog) to shore in a panic if on a 4.7 when it dropped to 24. As usual, it's all about preferences, based on > a dozen criteria including not crossing the wind shadow just to change sail size by a half meter (unless the sun has set).

FAR too many people -- the majority, I'd say -- who rig by eye at Roosevelt before 9 AM are fooled by the low light angle on the whitecaps a half mile out into launching on sinkers and tiny near-nuke-sized sails when a 6.2 isn't enough (@15 mph, for example). They almost always slog across, slog back, and give up ... often way downwind. Some have abandoned all their gear and swum back, some experts have had to be rescued by boat on rare peak current days, and many have swum their gear up to a kilometer to get back to shore.

Consider the sensor data (rent it if visiting; it will enhance your trip). Ask locals. Observe gear and sailor sizes as they launch and watch to see how they are doing. Ask observers who those guys are and whether they prefer efficiency or power. Some guys rig for the max gusts, some for the lightest lulls, some just are paying no attention to anything but the sun glinting off the ripples. Some beam reach, others prefer to sail up and down the river. Some use big early-planing boards, some use sinkers. Many clearly enjoy slogging, many others would rather break a toe. And fer gosh sakes buy a bigger sail and/or board if you aren't planing enough; there can be excellent swell to play on in steady 6.2/100 liter conditions.
lionslayer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the assessment by Mike Godsey (and others) regarding the Wall and Maryhill sensors. I advocated from the beginning that the Wall sensor be located on marker 41 on the Washington side. The existing sensor needs to be moved to the Washington side.

Regarding Rosey/Arlington, we sorely miss the clean directional data from the old DOE sensor at the US Post office mast, and need to reestablish a new sensor on the high ground for this purpose. The Arlington sensor is good enough for general wind speed, but the directional data is pretty useless. Good directional data on this part of the river is the key to assessing the likely quality of the swell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: