myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thanks for help today at Swell on this low-wind, mellow day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Thanks for help today at Swell on this low-wind, mellow day Reply with quote

Was a very nice low-wind day at Swell, and there was no real reason I needed to be wearing my helmet, my full wetsuit and my floatation vest - but I pretty much always wear them "just in case" somethng goes wrong and so when I fell and was a little separated from my board I just started swimming for it, not really believeing that the low wind would be able to blow the board and rig downwind faster than I could swim against the current upriver. I wasn't that far away at first, but then i was further away and couldn't believe that the clew didn't sink and the board didn't stop. At that point I was glad for the full wetsuit and floatation vest - both are very floaty and the water wasn't cold even for as long as I was in it. So I called for help and one sailor came to see what I was doing swimming near the barge chanel, and then seeing I was fine went to secure the board before coming back for me. . Only problem was that looking upriver I see a large barge coing downriver and even though I didn't think I was actually in the barge channel decided to swim more to the Oregon side since my board was safe, and I'm not tired, and the barge is big. Then my rescuer came to me and towed me back to my board. I don't know his name, but sailed his 4.2 Ezzy quite well considering he was towing me across the river. There Rhonda had my board and sail and stayed with me to make sure I could sail back to the Hatchery and offered me a ride back to Swell to my car. Thanks to all the sailors out there who help the occasional sailor in trouble. This time it was me, and i was glad that I could float, swim and stay warm easily in my wetsuit/vest. And I am really glad t be in a community of saiors who help each other out when the unexpected happens, even on a low wind day. Jim
kevsail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you made it in safe. We, at cheap beach had a call into the Sheriff's dept. after we saw a rig floating without someone attached to it. They dispatched the sheriff's boat to come take a look. So happy to hear sailors rescued you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: