myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
More rules, patrols, do gooders, and most importantly people who claim moral and intellectual superiority. How much time and energy went into this missive (including the nice graphic) to tell us all to stay 100 yards away from whales who are unpredictable? What about all the close calls with other wildlife including seals, birds, and fish I've had at Crissy over the last couple of decades.

Be careful with this train of thought as it will ultimately lead to self righteous people calling for a ban on water sports during whale migration season. While we are at it, why not a ban on all commercial traffic or at the very least demand that they stay 100 yards away from the whales.

Be smart. Be thoughtful. Try to stay away from the whales as well as the moral outrage.

I have no problem with these guidelines, people need to be educated. I see this all over the place in Maui. Signs at snorkel spots instructing people not to stand on the reef, even a dead reef. We have whales up the yin yang in Maui all through the winter and it's big money to take tourists out to get a closer look, but they won't interfere or harass them without risking their license. In Kealakekua bay on the big Island pods of 100's of dolphins commonly swim and frolic. Tour guides make money taking tourists out to see them but if they get caught positioning them in their path or chasing them they risk their licenses. I think it's a good plan to educate the public on how to treat these animals.

What I do have a problem with is people who throw away common sense and perhaps break laws (getting too close to turtles when they're hauled out on the sand for instance) for the sake of a selfie or a video that they post on Youtube, only to get picked up by the networks and of course the media will find a way to make it "controversial". This behavior of the public is not any different than the idiotic tourists I have witnessed in Yosemite throwing rocks at bears and (this is true) having their spouse get in between them and the bear to snap a photo.

If you don't want your activity to be banned, don't place risks on it. Heck it's called a "sailboard" for a reason, sail the damn thing. Post these placards all over the place, maybe next time they will think twice before circling whales.

Steve
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
More rules, patrols, do gooders, and most importantly people who claim moral and intellectual superiority. How much time and energy went into this missive (including the nice graphic) to tell us all to stay 100 yards away from whales who are unpredictable? What about all the close calls with other wildlife including seals, birds, and fish I've had at Crissy over the last couple of decades.

Be careful with this train of thought as it will ultimately lead to self righteous people calling for a ban on water sports during whale migration season. While we are at it, why not a ban on all commercial traffic or at the very least demand that they stay 100 yards away from the whales.

Be smart. Be thoughtful. Try to stay away from the whales as well as the moral outrage.

There is no moral outrage, but it seems only common sense to stay away from a Whale after you spot it. Of course nobody can stay away from a Whale before you do see it (yep: nobody can stay away from anything if you don't know where the anything is) but after you do ... common sense, really Very Happy would you approach an Elephant or an Hippopotamus in the wild?
kcorr1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: save the wh(ores)ales Reply with quote

End whale hunger and the right wing agenda one Republican anchovy sized finger at a time.[/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: