myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Light Wind or Slalom TE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Fanatic Light Wind or Slalom TE Reply with quote

looking for a little input from the peanut gallery here.

I'm thinking of replacing my light wind set up... I have a perfectly good Shark that has carried me from learning the foot straps right to intermediate (using the term loosely).

I typically hang onto my equipment. For winds greater than 15kts im on my 104L or 95L for sails 7.5 and lower.

The Shark's only purpose in life is to get me on the water in light winds, sub 15 kts. NJ has lots of those days. The shark has its own 8.5 sail (maui titan), the only sail I use with it. My sailing log shows half the time I'm on the water, it's on that rig. It has provided me countless days of enjoyable cruising in 13-15 knots of wind, albeit slowly. I'm still on plane, so still having fun. My objective is to just blast around, stay dry, nothing fancy. The bay is very calm when its sub 14 knots, if it gets over 15, I switch boards.

I have the opportunity of buying a Fanatic Light Wind or Fanatic Slalom TE

Light Wind
- this thing is just massive 230x90 159L (I consider this a negative)
- I like that it is a stronger build.
- it's also a LOT less money for this set up, cheaper demo board and I wont need a fancy high tech fin to take full advantage of it.
- not as fast
- sort of a middle ground between my shark and a real slalom board...

Slalom TE
- i like the size 136L 225x85 (a little smaller than the shark) I see this as just right.
- i dont like that it is less robust, higher performance materials (i hang onto my gear and life happens)
- this rig is going to be a lot of extra coin because I will prob have to buy a proper fin to take advantage of the performance. The board itself is understandably more $ plus an expensive fin. adds up quick.
- because faster!

not sure if I should just go full baller for the real deal, or settle for what makes practical sense. Is some dope like me gonna be able to actualize the speed and performance of a legit slalom board, for the cost?

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm

Last edited by B737 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the first step would be to demo the light wind set-up. It might just be the ticket, and the cost is more comfortable. The slalom board might be faster in optimal conditions, but this is your light wind board....and you will be sailing it in not so great conditions. You are not racing anyone and your speed is limited to the conditions that you are using it in.

Before I purchase an EXPENSIVE new board, I insist on a demo.

KMF
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the demo first idea. I have the slightly older version of the 136. My Falcon is 142 L & 230x85. From your stated level of sailing & needs it sounds like you would prefer the Light Wind. The Slalom TE will require more rider input to plane & jibe as it is far more high strung. You would probably also have to upgrade your rig to take advantage of the Slalom TE.

Coachg
B737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents
unfortunately demoing is out of the question without hopping on an airplane

i went to sleep last night thinking the 136, but i agree with both of you guys on your points, def leaning towards the light wind now. also, i was putting a lot of stock in their size but they are so similar i think i can take that out of the equation. and whats left really lends itself to light wind given my skill level (lack thereof) and local conditions...

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Falcon Lightwind looks awesome. There's a lot to be said for getting planing really early and easily, getting upwind/downwind really easily, and having enough width and volume to make it easy to handle a big sail in uphauling and tacking. In under 15 knots the big board might actually be faster, too, or at least not slower. It's going to skim over the water like a hovercraft.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fanatic Shark 150, like 78 wide, planes up LATER than my JP Slalom 84 liter board.
That's with 6 meter sails, the biggest I use.
However, the Fanatic does carry a 8.5, while the JP is maxed out at 6.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your biggest sail is an 8.5, I have to ask why focus on the two largest Falcons? Seems to me that you could easily consider the TE 121 or 129 and end up with a lighter, more lively board. However, if your goal is to move to even larger sails in the 10.0 range, the 136 or the Lightwind models would be your target. Yet, big sail rigs are very pricey and can be difficult to waterstart. If I was in your shoes, I would seriously consider the 121 or 129, especially if you do not expect to rig much bigger than a 9.0.
B737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is good input guys, all very helpful both sides...
i dont see myself rigging anything bigger than a 9.5 in the future. I sail the 8.5 with a giant maui "course" boom its a great fit, the titan is cammed and i enjoy it, but i wouldnt want to go too much bigger.

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design and dimensions on the Falcon Lightwind remind me a lot of the Starboard Ultrasonic, which I demoed and liked a lot. Width and fin depth rule for light wind pump-to-plane performance.

But really, I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices. Both are plenty big enough for your 8.5 and should be very fast and fun from the planing threshold on up to where you can switch to your 104 liter board. Either board should hold a 9.5 or 10.0 if you decide you want to go that route at some point and lower the planing threshold to ~10 knots.

B737

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna go with the Light Wind...

when i forget about the price, and the size, what matters is time on the water, and standing there wondering if it will be enough to get going... that's what it comes down to on most days here, anything more is a gift.

thanks guys for the helpful input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: