myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Light Wind or Slalom TE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you have stated - easier planing starts at about 15 to 16 knots
that wind gives one MANY more options
under 15 it starts to feel like lightwind and may get holey with lulls in wind
assuming you had/have a Shark 145/150 or 160, I would be VERY curious to hear how much sooner a Falcon LightWind will plane using the same 8.5 freerace sail !!
local sailor Force10 has a Falcon LW board and loves it, but with a 10 meter race sail ...
let us know how it all works out for you !!
my most versatile board is still my Mistral Equipe 2 XR carbon longboard
but do love a wide freeride/freerace in 12-14 knots Smile
as you and others have stated - ya gotta be good to milk the power of a slalom
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
im gonna go with the Light Wind...

when i forget about the price, and the size, what matters is time on the water, and standing there wondering if it will be enough to get going... that's what it comes down to on most days here, anything more is a gift.

thanks guys for the helpful input

I think that you will have more fun with this choice. At 235 long, it is not massive, and will actually feel short for awhile compared to your Shark. It will be a fine board for marginal days.
B737

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing is going to feel like the queen mary im afraid when i pull it off the truck. but what matters is how it is on the water, im anxious to try after riding the 147L shark for 7 years in light wind.

here is what started all this... The other day it was barely 12-13 kts, a really crappy 13. if i held it all just right the shark was puttering along just barely on plane. right at the brink of coming off. my friend is the same size as me, has a similar sail, but has Fanatic Light wind, and he was FLYING around fully powered, it was cracking me up. like he was in some alternate universe. he was going so fast i might as well been just standing there in the water stopped. When i talked about it with my friends, i said ok im gonna buy that board. but when the 136 TE was offered into the mix as an option it really got my wheels turning.

Forgetting about price, and size what I learned from this was; the TE seems to lend itself to technical high performance gear, a full set up, a very expensive slippery slope. I'd rather focus resources to having fun on the atom and freewave which are a blast. Also learning that the Light Wind will be less twitchy and less technical to sail weighed in a lot too.

I will update this thread after i get it out on the water in a week or two. thanks guys for the help and input.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
sl55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd favor LightWind. The best move I've made to increase my time on the water was to ditch Shark 145 and hop on JP SuperLightWind 154. It is by far the most used board. I've sailed Falcon 130 and found it horrible to slog on when the wind is down and harder to jump out of footstraps and back in when the wind is up and down. I sail SLW with 8.4 a lot and it is a blast, you can even use a 7.5 if you are lightweight, but it really shines with even larger sails. It is way faster than Shark. I sail 120 iSonic as well, but the range of its use is much narrower on my lake.
alap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Fanatic Ray 130, standard construction.
Then I bought Fanatic Ray 145, light construction. (I wanted to replace my Formula). I thought with my level I wouldn't be able to appreciate the advantages of this light design.

I was wrong! The difference is obvious, especially when pumping up on the plane.

In light air this 145 Ray works perfectly with my 8.5
I think it is my best board.

The default sail for 130 Ray is 7.0 but of course I can use 8.5 with it, and even 6.0 if it is already rigged.

I ended up not selling Formula. I use it with 8.5. It starts to plane probably one knot earlier than 145 Ray with same sail. But it feels overpowered much sooner than Ray (Ray has wider wind range). Definitely better than Ray on non planning days (aka yachting) with same 8.5 (better than SUP on flat water, just alone on the water)

Would I have to choose only one of those three boards I definitely would pick the 145 Ray.
B737

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow up and a thank you!

we had a marginal day here winds were pretty poor, lots of holes prob around 9-14 kts, the shark would have been puttering along 5-14 kts (only planing around 12-13kts).

The Light Wind was really great. Was there slogging? sure. but i was amazed how easily it would pop up on plane, and stay on plane through lulls. It sails upwind with ease, and was just a pleasure to ride. I was amazed how fast it was going in such low winds, i was seeing speeds 15-21 knots on the GW-60, incredible! The LW takes a little more persuasion to gybe than the shark but that was the only thing that took more effort. this thing has definitely widened the envelope for time planing.

The Maui Carbon Race (super wide) boom and Maui 8.5 titan felt like a really good pair for that board.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
follow up and a thank you!

we had a marginal day here winds were pretty poor, lots of holes prob around 9-14 kts, the shark would have been puttering along 5-14 kts (only planing around 12-13kts).

The Light Wind was really great. Was there slogging? sure. but i was amazed how easily it would pop up on plane, and stay on plane through lulls. It sails upwind with ease, and was just a pleasure to ride. I was amazed how fast it was going in such low winds, i was seeing speeds 15-21 knots on the GW-60, incredible! The LW takes a little more persuasion to gybe than the shark but that was the only thing that took more effort. this thing has definitely widened the envelope for time planing.

The Maui Carbon Race (super wide) boom and Maui 8.5 titan felt like a really good pair for that board.

NICE!

If you are into planing in light winds (aren't most of us, in those conditions?), you have the right board. Enjoy.
sl55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question to B737:
What is the width "one foot off the tail" on this LW Falcon?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windsurfblog.nl/2017/02/windsurfblog-update-new-layout-personal.html

supposed to be 230x90 cm 159 liters and 69.5 cm OFO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: