myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, just looked at the Pt. Potrero Reach wind graph from yesterday. The cliff at around 3:30 looks scary. Quite a difficult swim if you are over by the Jetty and further west?

Cheers, David

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.17.39 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.5 KB
 Viewed:  15376 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.17.39 AM.png

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges the last couple of days 07-19-17 & 07-20-17 Reply with quote

Well my new Ezzy Cheetah 7.0 came in and I picked it up from Joe yesterday. Went to Natural Bridges and took it out on my Angulo 10' 10". Rigged it at Medium. Quickly discovered the cutout was now positioned higher than the older Cheetahs. Rigged it with the boom clasp at the middle of the opening of the cutout and found it too high for my liking. Landed on a small beach by the Long Marine Laboratory and adjusted it to where I want it.

There was no proper adjustment as the wind was doing this crazy square wave of a minute at 4 knots and then a couple of minutes at 20 knots and then back to the 4 knots and on and on. The water would almost get glassy at the 4 knot interval and then during the 20 knot interval, the little wavelets tops were being blown off. Strange. I have seen this occasionally before, but usually in the Fall. This is mid-Summer.

I would line up the puffs with my run in along the kelp and the highest reading I had was 22.8 mph. With an old Ezzy Freeride 6.5 the day before, I had gotten 21.8 mph.

Today, I used the Ezzy 7.0 and my Naish Titan and found the wind to being pulling the same 4 knot/20 knot square wave shenanigans. I rigged it to the Maximum setting and was playing with speed runs again. Lining up the couple minutes of strong wind with my run in (or trying to). I achieved 26.8 mph. I actually think I got two runs near or over 30 mph, but the GPS read 46.1 and 76.1 mph. Thinking that the wind did not feel that high on my face and doubting that I had the speed of The Sail Rocket, I discarded those numbers.

Need some steadier wind to really be able to judge the new sail. At this point I cannot say that I feel an improvement of this 6 batten, flatter sail versus the earlier 7 batten, fuller sail. But I will spare giving a more firm judgement for when I have more normal winds.

I have sailed the last four days at Natural Bridges and found all to be fun, despite the challenging wind conditions of the last two days.
broadreach70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
OTOH, just looked at the Pt. Potrero Reach wind graph from yesterday. The cliff at around 3:30 looks scary. Quite a difficult swim if you are over by the Jetty and further west?

Cheers, David

Looked like a middle finger. 😊
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild and Wooly at Isabel Sunday.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday Isabel...Wild and Wooly, with a bit more Bully.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: San Luis Res 7/24/2017 Reply with quote

2500 ft fog level in the Monteray bay did a speculation run.
It had dropped hard in the morning but it seemed like the right
indicators were in place. Got there a 1:30 it was 18 I knew it would
at least be enough. Rigged a 5.3 kind of almost not enough for the
first hour switched to a bigger board and almost immediately has to go
back to the small one and not to long after that go down to 4.7 .
Very Gusty pulse power average 20 gust 30 but I can't say there wasn't
wind . About 4 showed up from Santa Cruz and Monteray. Weeds not showing
at the surface but you can see them below it.
Heavy Fog in Watsonsvile on the way back might do it again tomorrow.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday Isabel (yes, I'm retired) 4.6 85, wishing for a 5.6 at times...but mostly just the way I like it. Woof!
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: OC Reply with quote

the Circle was great the past 2 days, and was good 150-200 yards upwind of Berkeley and Emeryville. Yesterday, swells were swelly and organized when wind was solid within 200 yards from the pier gap. OPed on 4.4
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Washoe Reply with quote

After 17 years here, now that it's full, tried a new launch. Nice grass rigging but a little wind shadowed. 5.6 and 5.0 for us. South side boat launch.

south washoe launch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  14685 Time(s)

south washoe launch.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Pleasure Point on 07-26-2017 Reply with quote

Well yesterday I took my new Angulo 10' 2" out for the first time. Traveled just under 17 miles in the Monterey Bay cruising from New Brighton to Pleasure Point and back. Sails well and is much like the Angulo 10' 10" that I have. Seems to have a little more sideways slip than the 10' 10". Length is an amazing factor in going to windward when on a board with no dagger.

Ocean was flat. So much so that there were hardly any surfers out. I did catch some ankle-biters at Pleasure Point. Here is a pic:
[img][/img]

The Angulo 10' 2" catches these kind of waves without any effort. So I am happy with it and will be using it for this kind of exploratory/break riding fun.

07-27-2017 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 01 Pic.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1006.58 KB
 Viewed:  14607 Time(s)

07-27-2017 Windsurfing Pleasure Point 01 Pic.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 197 of 329

Jump to: