myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Weed fin selection
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Weed fin selection Reply with quote

I’ve read the weed fin discussions here, including Ingerbritsen’s thorough and insightful analyses. Weeds are becoming a real problem at some eastern Gorge venues in fishing season (midsummer) from shore to shore (the nets collect and release bales of weeds, and the launch zone weeds are chest-deep veritable forests). Whether it’s a barely submerged floating mattress, a cluster, or an invisible single strand/string, weeds screw up almost every reach at least once lately whether they knock us off a plane, put the brakes on, or dramatically spin us out (no, that wasn’t your fin’s fault a couple of week ago). Without weed fins, recovery often requires clearing the fin by hand.

Does any weed/wave fin stand out in maneuverability, with pointing ability as second criterion? If it requires moving my back strap aft, fugheddaboutit; I’m already there, and some of my mast tracks have only an inch of adjustment anyway with two-bolt bases. This has to be a plug’n’play solution for weedy days, not a seasonal reconfiguration, and it has to help weed control much more than it degrades performance.

Options include at least these:
True Ames Surf Grass
Black Project Freeweed
MFC San Carlos Weed Wave
Makani Mano and Ono

Opinions?

Mike \m/
dmilovich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried many fins. True Ames Weed Blade, MFC Weed Burner, Makani Ono. Not surf style like you listed, though. All will shed weeds. The MFC and TA are the fastest and point the best (I know, I know, not of interest, but just for the record...)

But the standout for me is the CNCFins Weed Demon, available from Dennis Parton at Tectonics, sailed in 21 and 25 cm. Flies like a pointer style, turns like a wave fin, more efficient than fins 2-4 cm taller, so glides through a jibe like you're on ice skates. I would seriously consider them.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two True Ames Surf Grass fins and one Weed Blade. The only negatives are for the Surf Grass fins related to spin out. They don't spin out often, but when they do, I can't get them back until I just about fall off plane. Usually happens in rough chop.

The Surf Grass (22cm and 24cm) I use on my 96L and 105L boards. The Weed Blade I use on my isonic 111 slalom board (32cm). Never tried other weed fins. I sail the Outer Banks where weed fins are essential.

The weed fins don't give the power/lift that I get with the standard vertical type fins.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cncfins.com/

MakaniFins , in several versions are ok.
TA surf grass
MFC weed burner

your list those I have used, nothing negative on any of those.

The link to CNC FINS from Hatteras, I use these when I have the correct size,
Others on the forum have sung their praise. All aspects they excell.
You will get first class customer service from Keith.

Note right now power is out on Hatteras, not expected to return for a week or more.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Black Project Freeweed 28 (actual depth 26cm) and the MFC SC Weed Wave 25. I use both on my Tabou 3S 96 and will try the BP on my Firemove 100 later in the year when the weeds get bad on the Sacramento. The little ramp on the SC helps with the aquarium grass at my launch but it it still picks up "real" weeds. I use the Freeweed in lighter winds and in the flood current. No weed problems with this one. Both fins handle very well, in my experience.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to not having to move the back foot strap back - look for a weed fin with a decent amount of overhang beyond the front of the fin base (assuming you are using a Tuttle or Power box fin system). Weed fins with little or no overhang will likely require the straps to move back.

Also be sure to put a gasket (boom grip foam) on the overhang to seal the gap between the fin and the bottom of the board to prevent weeds from getting caught.

sm
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My True Ames fins came with a small rubber stick on gasket to fill the gap between the front overhand and the board. Cut to size.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The self-adhesive gaskets work OK. Contact cement works best.

sm
dmilovich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on bred2shred's comments on overhangs, gaskets and glue. Essential info!

Boom grip material or old fin sleeve material works as a gasket. Sometimes, when the forward overhang doesn't quite match your board's rocker closely, you can put an extra thickness of gasket just on the tip, about .75-1.0" long and close off any gaps and create a higher density gasket right there where the weeds wanna latch on.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on another site (seabreeze maybe?) awhile back that some are using delta type race fins meant for SUP racing boards with some success. They aren't very deep but have a very long cord length which make up for their lack of depth. An example from Makani~

tadl01_1024x1024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.5 KB
 Viewed:  19176 Time(s)

tadl01_1024x1024.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: