myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
chinook rdg boom ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: chinook rdg boom ? Reply with quote

anyone try these newer booms ? although i am set for booms right now...i wonder how they feel, and if it is something to consider when i need to replace my current ones down the road.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 125 Carbon is on the way...will let you know
pete1111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: chinook rdg boom ? Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
anyone try these newer booms ? although i am set for booms right now...i wonder how they feel, and if it is something to consider when i need to replace my current ones down the road.

you can try mine next time you see me at Joe's. You'll be selling the old ones hehehe
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed my R G D carbon today on a 5.2 Its a high quality boom that should last a long time. The 2 pin clips and the loop and go back end are a nice to have. It has a wider back end that helps keep the sail from touching the boom. Its seems very stiff for the smaller size sails I plan to use it on. I try not to hold on to my booms much when I'm up and running so the grip size is not an issue either way. I would say for small sails this is a great boom. ladies, guys with small hands or if you wear gloves, its a must try. Average Joe and sails 6.0 and bigger, you will be just as happy on the full size booms...
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fairly new chinnook carbon boom (i guess it is now the traditional carbon)...anyway, i am not reall ysure i like the newer locking collars on the tailpiece...compared to my older chinnok carbon boom.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep them clean and they work great...
skyking1231

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just wonder if the plastic buttons will wear out over time.
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collars are not very durable. Broke mine very quickly, they broke but would still function but less secure, wound some velcro around to keep it secure. Then some sand got in the hinge area of the collar, trying to close broke that part. Until i have the time to replace the collar, i put the broken piece with the two pins in place, and wrap duck tape around it.

Chinook sent me replacements, but it seems like a hassle, have to hammer off the old collar. I may wait on fixing until they redesign the part. I have never broken boom collars before on any brand in 25+ years of sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: