myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf foiling vs kite foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zz Reply with quote

It seems like you want to be a foil Kiter. I say go for it!

-Craig

stringp wrote:
Went down wind and rode with the kiters yesterday. Thier swell riding performance was amazing. I could turn down some swells in the lulls if I COMPLETELY sheeted out, but nothing like the stately dance they were doing. I was on the H2 wing pretty much overpowered on a 4.2. Max wind average was mid 20s.
Again maybe I wasn't a very good windsurfer as was pointed out, but the kiters were able to depower their kites way better than I could depower a sail. Slingshot says that an H3 wing will be available in September. Looks like a LP. Maybe that will be the answer rather than the H5.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, windsurf foiling is best in light winds - i.e. under 20mph.
If the wind is averaging mid 20's I would stick to traditional windsurfing.
I prefer to sheet in and go fast in the gusts with a regular fin rather than having to sheet out and hope the foil stays in the water.
I have great respect for those who can foil upwind and downwind (and jibe) in the stronger winds, but my skills are not there yet.

From what I've heard and seen, kite foiling is way harder to learn than windsurf foiling, so those "stately dancers" are just extremely skilled. The windsurf foilers are catching up fast, however, and I am starting to see windfoilers riding swell up at the Hatchery and making it look very appealing (i.e. fun).
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: zz Reply with quote

Easier to learn. That's one of the reasons I started in with windsurf foiling. If windsurf foiling is easy no way I would work on kite foiling. Got beat up pretty bad as it was. Falling in and up hauling beats dropping the kite in the water and all that struggle.
Tried going back to conventional windsurfing in higher winds and didn't like bashing into chop.
I'm pretty much the only one foiling at my beach, so I'm developing in a vacuum. Except for "Big Man" Eric who's on a 6.9 when I'm rigging a 4.2. If anyone has a video of these swells riders I would love to see it. Any idea what foil they are riding and what size? LP, Slingshot ...
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't it been a kite foil that has won the bridge to bridge several years in a row now? I understand they can cut upwind at an angle nobody can match?
gorky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge to bridge is a downwind race, the kitefoilers rule. Just for perspective, prior to foiling, Micah Buzianis held the record on a formula rig at about 18 minutes, record broken by a kitefoiler, 12 minutes . So liters are very race efficient both upwind and downwind. I doubt that windfoilers will ever be successful racing against the best kite foilers. Windfoiling, though, has practical advantages, easier launching and much easier self rescue, when the wind dies.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOIL kite kitefoiler's are the leader's. They appear to beat Formula by 10% in all directions, possibly a bit more.
Windsurfoil seems 2nd, but safer and more practical for most launch sites.
If you area doesn't have steady light winds, like 7-14, windsurf foiling allows for sailing in the lulls as well as being safe if the winds gust up over 15. "Safe" as in down in the water.
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is faster? Not talking about upwind - but pure speed on a speed course.
1. windsurf vs windfoil? I think windsurf today - but windfoil in the future.

2. kite vs kite foil (kite - not even close). kite foil in the future?

3. kite vs windsurf (kite 56knots vs windsurf 52knots).

4. fastest of all - foil sailboats (65 knots).
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in a practical sense, in the real world, not some speed ditch in the South of France, what is the fastest?
Foil kite, foil board goes upwind and downwind the quickest, VMG, but not mph.
For sure, in the future, foil windsurf should surpass the fastest slalom boards, but that's in the future. Currently, the foils do tend to start to lose control at higher boat (foil) speeds, and huge crash's do become a problem.
The course ridden is a huge factor. Kites go downwind the steepest angles.
For pure mph, it appears slalom, or fast freerace gear is the fastest so far.
gorky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30 year obsession with windsurfing speed sailing was replaced by the pleasures of windfoiling. One downside to windfoiling is that once proficient, there is no desire to return to regular windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that, but 20 year's ago, plenty of windsurfer's went to kiteboarding, did it for a few year's, and completely went back to windsurfing.
There's always the aura of awe and wonder with any new sport.
Then you hit a few weeds, or submerged objects, find windsurfer's still zipping by you, your area get's a few year's of good winds, you find jumps are worthless on foil, like in kitefoiling/Kitesurfing, you don't feel the G force or the loading in your legs, and you wonder what it was that appealed to the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: