myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The big sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I’m really surprised the useable Wind range for the 12m doesn’t include the 1-5mph range.

What is the absolute lowest wind speed for planing?

Seriously, 1-5 mph? There is a limit....

A highly skilled sailor can probably coast/pump through lulls (if already planing) that dip down towards 5 mph. But sustained planing at 5mph or less is just not practical.

With a 12 meter sail, proper tuning, and strong pumping skills, you will be able to plane in 8-10 mph on a large Formula board and fin. Below that, all bets are off.

The great thing about this gear is that it opens up the door to so much more planing that it's basically a guarantee that your technique will improve. You will find yourself going out in winds that are super light and becoming more and more proficient at pumping and being efficient that your skills will improve drastically. You will also find that you will be able to attempt 10, 20, 30 times more jibes than you would with "normal" gear. So jibing skill is also likely to improve considerably.

sm
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

I've made similar comments to Mr. rtz in another thread, but since he's still
looking, let's get some fanciful design into it (on this planet).
For a windsurf rig to be any
more efficient (to plane) than it already is under the current design you're going to
have to reduce the hull friction and the sail friction while increasing the surface area. I'm thinking a
strippable/applyable base of something like solid CO2 (or anything that
sublimates directly) to make the surface a gas to water barrier for the hull,
and a sail material that repels Nitrogen and Oxygen. and voila.

Or, you could just foil board for which the design criteria is already
pretty good.

Physics is such a bitch! I want snow skis that turn at every radius, that are
stable at all speeds, that float in powder, cling to ice, and cut through crud,
(bought myself a a pair of Line Sick Day 95s for this), they're excellent
skis, but that dang physics still gets in the way on occasion.

-Craig

bred2shred wrote:
rtz wrote:
I’m really surprised the useable Wind range for the 12m doesn’t include the 1-5mph range.

What is the absolute lowest wind speed for planing?

Seriously, 1-5 mph? There is a limit....

A highly skilled sailor can probably coast/pump through lulls (if already planing) that dip down towards 5 mph. But sustained planing at 5mph or less is just not practical.

With a 12 meter sail, proper tuning, and strong pumping skills, you will be able to plane in 8-10 mph on a large Formula board and fin. Below that, all bets are off.

The great thing about this gear is that it opens up the door to so much more planing that it's basically a guarantee that your technique will improve. You will find yourself going out in winds that are super light and becoming more and more proficient at pumping and being efficient that your skills will improve drastically. You will also find that you will be able to attempt 10, 20, 30 times more jibes than you would with "normal" gear. So jibing skill is also likely to improve considerably.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: