myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A certain 9m sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
40% carbon 490 mast is ~$200 from Chinook so another mast is no problem.

Light Wind for me is anything under 10mph. I want to be able to plane in any and all wind conditions.

Back in the day; did they make any 14-16m sails?

If you want to "windsurf" in very light wind (under 10 mph), a bigger sail won't do it for you, what you need, if not going the foil route, is a much bigger board, like a SUP board that has a mast track. With that you may not even have to get a bigger sail, you may not be screaming fast, but you will be planning w/o sinking,,,,,,,,,, all day long.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9.0 Retro and 490 Joystick mast that I would part with for $300.00, however in all honesty I don't think it would do the trick. My Kona 9.0 and Kona mast out performs it in light wind.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
I have a 9.0 Retro and 490 Joystick mast that I would part with for $300.00, however in all honesty I don't think it would do the trick. My Kona 9.0 and Kona mast out performs it in light wind.

That's a good deal for the 9.0 Retro and 490 Joystick. I have that same 9.0 Retro/490 Joystick combo and it's saved a few summers vacations in the OBX. Was able to plane up nicely in the straps on my 135L Madd w/ only a handful of whitecaps around me.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail tuning is most important to increase the low end of a sail, and of course, decrease the top end.
Less downhaul, outhaul so the sail touches the inside of the boom arm, are needed for light wind sailing.
Don't just apply max downhaul to any sail, but LOOK at the wind conditions and decide what kind of tuning you need.
While I don't sail in minimum winds, I do use the smallest sails for anyone nearly my size with the same size boards, because I tune the sail I chose for the wind conditions.
windrockwater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Retro 9.0 on a 490 cm North mast Xcellerator. (Curious if i would notice the improvement with a carbon mast?).

I use a big 11'-8" windsup. I have alot of fun when no one else is on the water. because its not enough wind for them to move. Very Happy

I dont think i have ever waterstarted with it. And uphauling it is like lifting a telephone pole.

But i am able to keep it upright most of the time, can hook in, and can simply sail around having a blast. It was a smart purchase for me. I am not a high wind snob.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those North Xcellerators are 80% carbon and were an excellent mast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: