myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who makes the best boom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Those old Fibs from the '90s do really well, until the arm at the front end snaps from the joint between the arm and the head. Wrap glass around, about 3 layer's, can make them last seemingly foreever.
The wide bend is nice on freeride and slalom sails.
You can extend the life of the adjusters by layering two layers of electrical tape on the notch's, making them hold without slipping.
Always extend and retract the arms slowly.
Was sailing Sat. on a 1995 WH tapered boom, a 1997 North Convert 5.2, and a '04 JP FSW 84, all parts working as well as anything could work.

You're still sailing that JP FSW 84? For some reason, I think the board you have is a 2005? Or is this a different one?

The Windsurfing Hawaii Power Taper was my first boom I ever bought... but followed quickly by a Fiberspar Post-Grip 150. Will Harper had let me borrow his while I waited for my Power Taper to come in. I didn't think his $550 boom was that big of a deal until my Power Taper arrived.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kev...
Yeah, that 84FSW is the board I'd ride every day if I could use a sail from 5.8 down to 4.5. It' the earliest planing, fastest FSW ever. I do rotate it with a '10 Tabou 3S, a '04 RoqueWave FSW, a 85 liter JPProSlalom, and a Drops 2stroke 80, which keeps the JP alive and doing well.
jimbeall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Who makes the best boom? Reply with quote

Do the Chinook Pro 1 Alloy Booms corrode ??? What do you think they corrosion life is? Say after 5 years are they 20% weaker? I would love to hear your opinion.

Perhaps much discussed else where. Carbon vs Alloy. What is really more durable? Carbon is very good until cracked.
email to Chinook:
Comment: Pro 1 Alloy Booms. I have 3 of them so as to rig without changing harness line with different sizes. The old booms would break at the head where the bolts went threw. As was known in salt water they corroded over time. I been windsurfing 31 years and broke several of the older Chinook Aluminium booms. I weigh 230 lbs so things break. I live in Maui.Two of my Pro 1 Alloy Booms are a few years old. I have always had the Chinook booms.Faithful customer.
Here is the question. Do the Pro 1 Alloy Booms corrode Much? Do they have a corrosion life with salt water ?
So second question carbon booms . Does carbon weaken over time similar to metal fatigue ?

from Chinook:
Hi James,

The Chinook Pro 1 Booms and all our Alloy booms are hard anodized to prevent/slowdown corrosion. That being said you should rinse your boom if you’re going to store it for any length of time and take out the tailpiece. This will help extend the life of the boom.
Carbon on the other hand will not corrode. It would however been good to rinse it as well since it does have some metal parts in the head.
Saltwater is hard on any equipment as I’m sure you know all too well.

Carbon will way outlast alloy in a saltwater environment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: