myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roberts Boards - Opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite possible. I'm out there for consciousness-altering adrenaline, and there are other (legal and healthy) ways to get that.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant said:
Quote:
You'd also never leave the beach where he sails.

Exactly, we buy and sail what meets our needs at our venue(s).

Iso said:
Quote:
I'm out there for consciousness-altering adrenaline

That's the goal for most of us. My worst crash ever windsurfing was on a my formula with a 7.6 running downwind at what used to be the US Open in Corpus Christi. Wind 25-30 mph, seas (bay chop) 3-4'. I was running over the backs of the swells at max speed at an angle of about 70 degrees (90=dead downwind) and then I blew up (I don't know what happened). Nothing broken other than a cut on my head. Limped to shore and gave it up for the day. Adrenaline was at max on that run.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question for a moment:

I think Roberts are very high quality boards. Like someone just said, ask Bruce or Dale, they really know. But my experience is good.

I've owned two Roberts custom boards. One a 70 cm AVS from about 18 years ago. Sailed it a lot using 6.5-8.7. Brilliant board in light air, very light, super fast, yet has proven quite durable. It's not been abused at all, but hey, it's been used for 18 years. His construction is first rate and his designs are generally well ahead of the curve.

The formula I've owned for about 6 years, but haven't sailed it all that much. Was super excited about it for the first couple of summers, but, like rigging full race sails, it's turned out to be more trouble than it's worth for me on our little lakes with fluky wind here in Utah. Have since gone more for general freeride gear. But again, the board is quite fast, very light, and has held up just fine.

For lake cruising in light air, I also have a couple of long course boards, Equipe II XR and ultralight hollow honeycomb Tuttle, which never fail to deliver a fun time.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
we buy and sail what meets our needs at our venue(s).

That ... or we move.

techno900 wrote:
My worst crash ever windsurfing was on a my formula with a 7.6 running downwind at what used to be the US Open in Corpus Christi. ... Adrenaline was at max on that run.

I can appreciate that. The most worried I get is when blasting off the wind with too much power in rough terrain. The yard sale potential is max, and the result can be painful. The older I get, the less I push that particular envelope.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the board in question. Anyone care to comment? The seller says the board has had previous repairs beyond the usual nicks and scrapes.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/spo/d/windsurfing-formula-board-and/6248992905.html

Last edited by mamero on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That's quite possible. I'm out there for consciousness-altering adrenaline, and there are other (legal and healthy) ways to get that.

Isobars, is it bad that I read that as "I'm out here for consensus-altering adrenaline" Question Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

http://wind-nc.com
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero, The board and deal looks fine, not great. How old is the board? One issue with all formula boards is that while learning how to run downwind, you will get tossed over the nose several times. It's common for the mast to hit the nose and do damage. A friend actually broke off the nose of his Starboard Formula. Find out where the damage is and how it was repaired. Did the seller buy it new or used? Since he says he used it 5 times, why is there damage?

Running deep downwind is essential for racing, but not for freeriding, but that's what the board is designed to do - point high and run deep. If I was racing on a 9.2 for max speed upwind and downwind, I would use an 8.4 or a 7.6 for freeriding in the same conditions (15-20 mph winds).
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
isobars wrote:

Isobars, is it bad that I read that as "I'm out here for consensus-altering adrenaline" Question Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

I dunno. When we read something incorrectly, is that a meaningful Freudian slip, or simply a mis-read? Question
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Wind-NC.com wrote:
isobars wrote:

I dunno. When we read something incorrectly, is that a meaningful Freudian slip, or simply a mis-read? Question

I don't know either, but I got a kick out of it when I realized my mistake, and I thought that you might too. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
snip

to sum it up - if you thinking about increasing planing time - it will do but very marginally.
but it will force you to go more in non planning conditions and this will be a great benefit overall

Good thoughts. Let me add a further comment.

FW gear, once planing, sails with a very powered up feeling nearly all the time. In fact, the power is so huge and comes from all three aspects (fin, board and rig) that even a 12-15 knot day can challenge some to reduce power when first sailing the FW stuff.

Think of a a very windy 4.5 day, when you really can feel all the wind's power. A 15 knot day on FW gear feels similar; the power is tremendous. Speed is available at all times and will bite you unless sailing attentively and aggressively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: