myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Impact Vest recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
Love my new ION Vector, don't feel it and I like the extra flotation it gives me.

Thumbs up emoticon. I use my for larger surf at the coast sup surfing and love it!
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone. I tried going back to a seat harness so I could sail with this damaged rib, but it just didn't work for me. I tried on some other types at the shops but those also felt odd. A waist harness is the way to go for me. I think the Ion is probably the best of what I saw here in the gorge, and did wonder whether it would become loose when wet (thanks for that one). I also found this one, but in the UK. I am really looking for 'side' impact protection and prolimit looks better than the ion, BUT I can only get this from Europe. Arg... http://www.powerkiteshop.com/prolimit-a-frame-vest.htm

I also found a football tank top with built in lower side protection that might work. I am tall and so the Ion, even in extra-large left a gap similar to my current impact vest...where I, again, seem to smack a rib now.

I am waiting to see if this does indeed work with a waist harness for windsurfing, not kiting. cheers, m
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a boom shot on and just below my lower rib, beneath the vest I used to wear. I could tell the rib wasn't thoroughly fractured, so considered just giving it time to heal. But I wised up, went to the ER, and asked them whether I was wasting their time or my insurance money.

"Absolutely not! A bruised liver can kill you overnight."

He ran a couple of simple tests and said, "Nope. Your organs are not involved. Deal with it and let pain be your guide."

I now insist on complete torso protection. Of course, if you don't wear a helmet and face guard, why not just let your ribs and internal organs hang out too? We all gotta go sometime anyway, and what's a lost season? Very Happy
jgda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: prolimit Reply with quote

I ended pulling the trigger on a prolimit, but had to order from out of state. Overall, about the same price as an ion. http://www.prolimit.com/product/stretch-vest-half-padded-front-zip/

The side protection is a bit longer than the ion and the dakine and others have none. Now week 3, feeling better, and finally this heat wave is breaking so will head out tomorrow....

thanks to everyone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: