myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harvey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Harvey Reply with quote

Looks like Hurricane Harvey is going to wham into the middle of the Texas coast as a pretty strong cat 3 hurricane. Is anyone going to try to sail the fringes of it?
amarie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commenting from Corpus Christi - we're actually pretty concerned about this one. It's looking worse by the hour. We wave sailed the fringes of Dolly and it was the best session of my life, and normally I'm getting my wave gear ready when there's a storm in the gulf. But I actually stowed everything today and converted my car back to a passenger vehicle. We are scrambling now to prepare and perhaps flee.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandatory evacuations in progress.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An incredible amount of rain, 15 to 25 inches with isolated amounts of up to 35 inches, is predicted along the middle and upper Texas coast, because the storm is expected to stall and unload torrents for four to six straight days. The National Hurricane Center said it expects “devastating and life-threatening” flash flooding
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though Corpus Christi can have a little sigh of relief. Looks as though the eye will pass just east of Rockport. Do not think the winds will get above 70 in the gusts except stronger towards Port Aransas. Kind of wish I flew down last night with my gear.

Lars Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars from NM?! Hi!!! Well, Corpus is getting slammed already. We outran it today and are safe. I'm worried about everyone who stayed.

I know you were probably kidding with your post (hard to tell tone online), but in all seriousness, we were talking about how SPI had potential to be side-off and huge. Not to make light of this storm. There's enormous potential for loss of life. But since the original poster was asking about the fringes of the storm, that's my daydream thought for the day. I bet that even there, the current and surge got way too strong to mess with, though.
TXJackII

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Sailed Canyon Lake (New Braunfels) today. Blasted around for 2 hours on a 3.7. It was a tad gusty!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TXJackII,

Glad you got out and had some fun! This storm looks real bad however and I am deeply concerned due to the fact that Harvey is expected to stall and dump another 20-30 inches of rain bringing storm totals to near 50 inches according to the national weather service. This looks like a disaster of unprecedented proportions. All I can do is pray that you all survive.

amarie,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe!
amarie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ok in Corpus Christi, wynsurfer. Thanks for asking! The community where we wave sail (Port Aransas) is not, sadly. Also worried now also about friends in the USVI and PR, plus everyone else in the path of Irma. I saw that article that a surfer already died. Usually we have a little fun during hurricane season with waves and no real threats reaching us, but this year sucks :/.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/young-barbados-surfer-zander-venezia-dies-surfing-hurricane-irma-swell/10452/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: