myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is rental windsurfing gear available on Hawaii Big Island ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davelesueur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Is rental windsurfing gear available on Hawaii Big Island ? Reply with quote

I will be going to the Big Island in February, 2018, and would love to rent gear there, but so far I haven't found a rental shop. I would like to rent freeride, not wave gear. Any suggestions?
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a WS rental in front of the Marriott in "A" bay. The Kona coast is mostly in a wind shadow from the NEasterly trade winds.
Maui and Oahu have much better setups for trade wind. Maybe a side trip to Maui? Feb is not the best season for wind even on Maui. The winter storms to the north tend to disrupt the trades. You can get south wind in winter, maybe bring your own stuff if you're going for a long trip? (a hassle though)
Enjoy surfing (huge on north side in winter), SUP, snorkel, whale watching, lava flows and sight seeing instead.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a place to go for serious water sports, with
Maui next door.
I used to stop by the big island to visit a high school friend
and I looked around ,
There was rentals off one of the beaches near one the Kona
resorts but it was old stuff and way overpriced.
Might be the same place mentioned in a sort of cove beach.
There was a small windsurfing scene there back in the 90's but you
had to go to remote beaches that often required a 4x4.
Like South Point and the launches were advanced.
Haven't been there in awhile so maybe things have changed.
Maui sometimes blows all the way through the year but not always.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed there but know nothing about rentals.

However Southpoint IS FREAKING AMAZING on a big south swell and port tack. I also sailed at Waikaloa, flat.
bamer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 10 days on the Big Island in December and it was amazing. Six days were just north of the Kona coast and four days were on the other side closer to Hilo. I surfed seven days, but could have gone everyday without a problem. I also brought my 14' inflatable SUP and took that out touring four times, doing at least five miles per session.

To say there are no 'serious' watersports happening on any of these islands is absurd. On days where the forecast was poor, I found perfect 4-6' faces all day long with only a few guys out. On the days the swell hit, it ended up getting scary big for me. Almost everyone in the lineup was highly skilled, friendly, and supportive.

I researched the wind ahead of time and decided against bringing any windsurfing equipment. But I could have sailed a lot on the west side. It blew over 18mph almost everyday, usually coming up in the afternoon, but sometimes blowing all day. On a decent day there 20 kites and 2-3 windsurfers out at Pohakulua (Waikoloa). I din't see anyone sailing or kiting anywhere else on the island. I don't think there were rentals, but didn't look hard.

If you surf or have any interest in learning you could focus on that and have an incredible trip. There are some easy and friendly spots, but most of breaks are over coral heads just a few feet under water and the paddle out can be long and sketchy. You will want to bring or buy booties because of all the coral and spiny sea life.

If you have any interest in golf, which I don't, there are likely some great deals. Probably drove by a golf course 100 times and only saw one person actually golfing over the entire 10 days! And at the airport I didn't see one person traveling with clubs.

Seeing the lava flow into the ocean from the Kalapana side was really special, do not miss that.

I hit these spots:
Waikoloa: 19.923212, -155.891665
Puoko: 19.923212, -155.891665
Hapuna Beach: 19.988310, -155.831136
Pine Trees: 19.694612, -156.044883
Near Hilo: 19.755822, -155.091085
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: