myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clenko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:19 am    Post subject: Boom position? Reply with quote

I have just started to windsurf(three days on the water), and can see I am hooked already. I found on my last time out, I positioned the boom as low as possible(I am only 5Cool, and had greater success staying on the board. My question is, will this have an adverse effect on steering at all?
petedekay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 4:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Boom position? Reply with quote

It is great to hear you are having fun. You should move the boom up so that it is at collar bone height once you are on the board (the front of the boom that is). A way to get it right is once you have rigged your sail stand it up on the beach not attached to the board. Put you arm over the very front of the boom arm. It should come snuggly into your arm pit. Once you put the mast base on and attach it to your board this will make it collar bone height.
Why sail with a boom at this height. It will allow you to have more leverage against the sail and develope a good upright stance to go faster sooner. A low boom forces you into a poor sailing stance.
Keep having fun on the water. If you want to improve faster take some lessons or a clinic.

Pete DeKay
1aloop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:14 am    Post subject: RE: Boom position? Reply with quote

You didn’t say how you are getting started but I’ll guess you are uphauling. Lowering the boom will make uphual easier, but as you get going you will probably want to raise your booms for many reasons the most obvious will be as your board gains speed you want to step back on the board and as you do your mast will be on and angle and the more you angle the mast toward the back of the board the lower the boom will be.
A lot of factors are involved, I would stress raising your booms but maybe that would be more for someone learning harness and foot straps. I think you will find it takes a lot of experimenting as time goes by and you can make your own rules, but I feel its common for learners to keep the booms to low.
If you are uphauling leave your booms low so you can get going (after all that is the idea) and take it from there. A rule of thumb would be when the rig is on the board and straight up it should be at least chest high
Windlover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Boom position? Reply with quote

Pete has the right idea with the arm over the boom. No matter what level of sailor you are, your boom should be between collar bone to chin high. Having your boom too low will create a poor stance, sore back and bad habits. When you get more proficient, boom height can affect your steering somewhat. When you want to point upwind better, position your boom near chin height. Having it at shoulder height will be better for you at this time. If you are using the same sail each time you go, you can mark the mast with a permanent marker. If you change sails, which may change your base height, make a new mark. This will take the guess work out. Check out Windsurfing magazine for articles on beginner techniques. Good luck and keep on sailing,
Windlover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: