myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kite harness for windsurfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
husby_d

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Kite harness for windsurfing? Reply with quote

Good windsurfing harnesses are priced at $230, while similar kite harnesses are now going for $99.

Is there any reason I can''t put a windsurfing spreader bar on a kite harness and get a perfectly acceptable windsurfing harness?

It seems odd that DaKine doesn't market a dual-sport harness.
combs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep figured that out a couple of years ago and switched to a dakine kite harness. Just switched to ride engine since they Came out with a windsurf bar. Great lumbar support and super comfy!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using kite harnesses for years for WSing. Labels mean next to nothing; it's features that matter.
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just remember that there is a difference between a windsurfing spreader bar and a kite spreader bar. You don't want to windsurf with a kite bar.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a "Kite" harness with a windsurfing spreader bar for years also.

-Craig
nada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch this year and doubt I'll go back. The kite harness is so much more supportive, doesn't ride up, and is far more comfortable overall. It's burlier and is a bit more tricky to set up since there are a few more straps to tweak, but once you figure out the adjustments it's a dream.

I got a prolimits predator- they have a spreader bar that clips to close; you pull a quick release tab to open - and it blows away anything I've owned by DaKine ( I traded up from a T6).

The curve in the hook is more pronounced and I noticed it the first few times I went to set up for jibes, but then I threw on some longer lines and the issue disappeared.

Biggest thing I've noticed is that the bar is fixed and doesn't slide sideways, so you have to adapt to that if you're used to a reactor but pretty minor.
jgda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: price about the same Reply with quote

I just prices on ws vs. kite waist harnesses and they are pretty close with kite looking a bit more spendy. The prolimit products look very nice, and I like the quick release pin. Still using my Dakine T6, which is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: