myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Angry violent people at Candlestick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is if winds drops you don't always have that much control
of where you come in.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yea, I hate the scenes there. Not very friendly. IMO, stick is an overly hyped site, many times...holey / gusty. Makes sense for sailors who live nearby. I'll make a visit less than a handful of times a year...if that.
Go to other places with steadier wind and more pleasant environment and cleaner water (e.g. TI, OC, Coyote, 3rd: TI is a bit questionable but better than stick)"

I agree that the stick looks down right scary to occasional visitors, especially when they're rolling donuts on the street. Like bert said, its not for everyone's taste. But there must be a reason why people from the City, Peninsula, South Bay, East Bay, Marin come regularly, among them some semi-pros. Blame them for over-hyping the place. The stick is probably safer than its look. Most old timers don't have problems, and I agree with them thus far, as a regular for 9 years (with ~80 sessions/yr). Local guys and windsurfers usually have their own space for entertainment - but don't bother the fishermen.

My personal reasons are: more sailable days than most venues in the area, no ebb/flood tide concerns, no water level concerns, easy on my knees and planning off the beach most of the time like today.

IMG_2914__stick_8_28.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  615.2 KB
 Viewed:  15500 Time(s)

IMG_2914__stick_8_28.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
Yesterday, I was walking downwind to keep an eye on someone swimming in and I ended up talking to the fishermen just downwind of the launch. They did make a comment about sailors coming too close to their fishing area and mentioned that they have been yelling something at sailors coming in "too close".

They seemed very reasonable and polite to me in saying (paraphrasing) "that we (the fishermen) stay our of your way (windsurfers) by not fishing in and around the launch, so why can't you avoid our fishing area"

Kind of interesting I see this post today

Not sure exactly how close they consider close, but I am planning on turning around a bit earlier.

There were fishermen on the point just downwind of the launch on Saturday. They usually are further down, but it's not unusual to see them on the point there either.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
LUCARO wrote:
Yesterday, I was walking downwind to keep an eye on someone swimming in and I ended up talking to the fishermen just downwind of the launch. They did make a comment about sailors coming too close to their fishing area and mentioned that they have been yelling something at sailors coming in "too close".

They seemed very reasonable and polite to me in saying (paraphrasing) "that we (the fishermen) stay our of your way (windsurfers) by not fishing in and around the launch, so why can't you avoid our fishing area"

Kind of interesting I see this post today

Not sure exactly how close they consider close, but I am planning on turning around a bit earlier.

There were fishermen on the point just downwind of the launch on Saturday. They usually are further down, but it's not unusual to see them on the point there either.

OK good to know
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed from a shoreline covered shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of steelhead fishermen on opening day for miles with zero apparent enmity ... not one nasty comment, objection, rock, or bullet. I asked the nearest guys if I could launch between them, then I stayed out of their way for hours until the wind backed off and I had to come back ashore. The only comments I heard were admiration and envy of the sport (it was a very windy day).

Maybe the general public attitudes, even 150 miles east of the Hood River windsurfing mecca, are very different from those in "more crowded urban zones" ... a euphemism for drug-infested ghettoes, as ctuna described the Candlestick environment.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may say its not that good but its one of the best places to work
on your moves for flat water in the area.
And it has or had a number on benefits like
there is no charge to use it. It has bathrooms and a shower.
You don't have to carry your rig very far.
It blows more often than a lot of other places.
If it's not so good why do all the freestylers in the area go there.
Doesn't usually suffer from much of a land shadow though that
may be changing with the construction in the area.
Yeah it can be Zony and Gusty.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing CANDLESTICK on a regular weekday, JUNE 14th 2013, SAN FRANCISCO.
By AD Surf Photography

https://vimeo.com/68455654
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've sailed from a shoreline covered shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of steelhead fishermen on opening day for miles with zero apparent enmity ... not one nasty comment, objection, rock, or bullet. I asked the nearest guys if I could launch between them, then I stayed out of their way for hours until the wind backed off and I had to come back ashore. The only comments I heard were admiration and envy of the sport (it was a very windy day).

Maybe the general public attitudes, even 150 miles east of the Hood River windsurfing mecca, are very different from those in "more crowded urban zones" ... a euphemism for drug-infested ghettoes, as ctuna described the Candlestick environment.

Hi Isobars,

As the co-owner of http://usafishing.com (home based in the Bay Area) I know a bit about fishing. Your river Steelhead fishermen are fishing for a migrating anadromous species living off stored fat and they have little to no interest in stalking prey. So typically to catch them you let the current bounce a weight and a hook with a bit of fluff on it along the bottom in a noisy moving river.

And if you are lucky your leader will slide through their open jaws until the hook snags their cheek. In reality this technique, known as lining, is actually snagging not fishing. But it is legal if you do not overtly encourage the snagging.

These Steelhead are fixated on sex could care less about a noisy windsurfer hammering the chop above them. Hence the fishermen could care less about your launching or even sailing near them.

The type of fishery at Candlestick is utterly different. There you have hungry fish that are carefully stalking their prey or your bait. A windsurfer slapping the chop above them will spook them and they depart the area.

Fishing can be just as addicting as windsurfing to some people. And having a windsurfer spoil the fishing at your favorite local spot is going to create a lot of anger.

And yes parts of San Francisco are drug infested but in my experience these shore side bay fishermen are the best of the poor who work long hours and would like to enjoy a day off and be able to bring fresh meat back to their families. Meanwhile we are just out having fun.

Mike Godsey

usaTEMP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.59 KB
 Viewed:  15128 Time(s)

usaTEMP.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative, Mike. Thanks. I used to get up at 3 AM on high school days to drive 50 miles to go fishing before classes began at 8. I understand the devotion to the sport.

Your horny steelhead observation may also partially explain why the two guys I talked with had been fishing for 6-8 hours with no luck, but the two guys who took their place when they gave up caught fish within minutes: Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: