myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board turning upwind on water start?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get this straightened out, just be sure that you don't over do it when you are actually water starting. Otherwise, you may go flying over the nose of the board.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend an hour in waist-deep water turning your board and sail around you and getting it in a right (means balanced) position. The key is to do it with minimum effort - fingers touching the boom in the final position.

Yes, you may feel bad about this hour spent not windsurfing, but you need to develop muscle memory how to steer the board and the rig. It has to become full auto. Only then you can get to the next step - pulling the board under yourself using your back foot.
ramps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't forget to practice swimming the rig and board around in shallow water to even get into waterstart position. You can lose a lot of ground while flailing around in deep water trying to get rig and board positioned correctly.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost never swim my gear around. I grab it with my hands, then windmill my extended legs in a BIG horizontal circle to reposition whatever I'm hanging on to. It is far more efficient, is quicker, and uses big muscles we don't wear out while sailing.
ramps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ain't swimming?
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of tips:

- You're starting position isn't the best. Easier to have the mast edge perpendicular to the wind. This helps wind get underneath the sail. If you give it a pull to windward, you can usually clear it from the water.
- in strong winds don't lift the front edge too high until the clew clears
- there are also advanced tricks about pulling the boom across the back of your board to get it to clear
- once the sail is out of the water, put two hands on the boom and steer the board downwind on to a beam or broad reach. (Sounds like you need some practice steering the board for this part.)
- with one or two feet on the board, extend arms up and proceed to waterstart
- it helps to hang your weight so that the pressure goes in to the mast foot
- once up on the board, be prepared to sheet out and get your balance if necessary

If you a) focus on steering the board on to a beam or broad reach and b) get the pressure in to the mast foot, you shouldn't round up.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
That ain't swimming?

Not even close.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
- there are also advanced tricks about pulling the boom across the back of your board to get it to clear

I've never done it any other way (unless my boom was mounted too high, which takes all of 5 seconds to correct.)
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

"I almost never swim my gear around. I grab it with my hands, then windmill my extended legs in a BIG horizontal circle to reposition whatever I'm hanging on to. It is far more efficient, is quicker, and uses big muscles we don't wear out while sailing."

I tried this yesterday for the first time. It works great and is far less tiring than swimming. Wish I knew about this years ago.

Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it helped. Just watch that fin!

You'd have known about it years sooner if you read every word I post.

wynsurfer wrote:
isobars wrote:

"I almost never swim my gear around. I grab it with my hands, then windmill my extended legs in a BIG horizontal circle to reposition whatever I'm hanging on to. It is far more efficient, is quicker, and uses big muscles we don't wear out while sailing."

I tried this yesterday for the first time. It works great and is far less tiring than swimming. Wish I knew about this years ago.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: