myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is it possible to carry our gear over our head downwind?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Is it possible to carry our gear over our head downwind? Reply with quote

I can easily walk upwind and on a beam reach carrying my gear on my head. Even if it's gusty or if the wind comes from the top or the bottom, it's not pleasant though as it can make the gear weigh a lot more!

But is it possible to carry our gear over our head downwind?

May need to our it "backwards," I don't believe I have seen this before.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with that. Some pro (was it Ed Angulo?) warned the WSing public years ago of his long term neck injury from carrying his gear on his head. My C6 vertebra is crumbling so badly (others can hear me turn my head) from decades of helmeted sports that it may beat age or disease to ending my WSing.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...not to mention putting a lot of load on the bottom panel of your sail.

Why not just carry with the gear at waist level, front foot strap in one hand and boom in the other?

sm
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier on the arms and lower back for long distance.
It does stress the sail but it should be able to take it especially when using wind (can be apparent).

I do place the mast on my hips when carrying it low, it helps.

The reason I'm asking is because my windsurfing center is down so I need to carry my gear something like 200-300 yards. I believe rigging and derigging creates more stress on the sail than carrying it.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On long, windy portages (e.g., the Oregon coast), I took two trips. Board first, set it down pointing into the wind deck up, then return for the sail, which is easily carried in one hand. Lots of walking, but minimal effort.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's how the slalom guys do it. Maybe I could do half and half.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sails are designed to support the aerodynamic loads, not support the load from the entire rig (and board?) being balanced on your head. Your head creates a point load on the bottom panel of the sail that is considerably higher than normal sailing loads where the pressure is distributed more evenly over the surface of the sail.

If you have to carry a long distance, I suggest carrying the gear un-rigged: mast halves and extension go in the sail bag, mast foot and fin are installed on the board, then the board goes under one arm and the sail/mast/boom get carried by the other. Some people even build/buy small carts for this purpose. Much easier than carrying the kit fully assembled.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's the brute force, Git 'Er Done, SCREW IT! approach that I adopted for getting all my rigged crap back upwind in walks of shame on the coast when everything else failed (before I got smart enough to walk back upwind in knee-deep water): Grab my rear footstrap in one hand and walk north/upwind on the beach. It worked, and at that point that was all that mattered. Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider....
Walking downwind with the rig, you can easily carry it over your head board pointing at the wind if the wind is not more than 10 mph faster than your walking speed.
If the wind IS more than 10 mph faster than you walk downwind with your rig, carry it using both hands at hip level, board rail resting on one hip (with your harness as support), and mast (rig) resting on the other hip (with your harness as a support).
ALWAYS loosen the outhaul when carrying a rig on your head. This reduces the tension on the sail, so your (and my) pointing head doesn't go thru the sail.
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another board carrying alternative: Instead of grabbing the footstrap, flip the board towards you and grab the far rail. It is not as a good a handle as the strap but now the board and rig are connected at two places rather than one making it much more stable (mast base AND rail against mast). This works amazingly well when crawling out of the water over rocks as the whole rig is more stable, you can rest the mast and board on either side of your hips taking weight off your arms AND the fin is pointed up. Another alternative for going upwind is to use this method except face forward and carry the rig behind you not in front. The wind lifts the rig and you can actually run upwind. Takes some getting used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: