myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NEW! photos from 84 of fire damage on walls of Gorge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: NEW! photos from 84 of fire damage on walls of Gorge Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Here is a link to my new telephoto shots of the areas with the most extensive damage on the walls of the Gorge as well as a shot of landslide area as seen from WA.

https://windnotes.smugmug.com

Just scroll and click thumbnails to get to images and to see blow ups of each photo.

Older Post:
Today's Fire map

Yesterday I had to drive to PDX so I missed the very strong Hatch winds. But I dropped by the Hatch mid day to check out the wind just as the 10+ day fire went crazy just west of Stevenson.

At the same time fireworks started a small fire near Hood River. From the Hatch I could see helicopters dumping water on the far western outskirts of Hood River.

So as I drove to PDX I took a series of photos of the fire spreading along our beloved Gorge.

Last night I could see hundred foot bursts of fires just past Starvation Creek as conifer trees exploded.

Driving down the Gorge looking towards Oregon it seemed that the damage to the forests was patchy along Hwy. 84 and up the cliffs. Some areas were devastated while others were intact. It looked like from 84 the Gorge will seem not horribly disfigured. The real damage is up in the canyons where the spectacular hiking used to be found.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

firetemp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.73 KB
 Viewed:  26402 Time(s)

firetemp.jpg

Fire1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  448.98 KB
 Viewed:  27698 Time(s)

Fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  354.83 KB
 Viewed:  27698 Time(s)

fire2.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm; edited 9 times in total
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Fire map via a link sent by Mike B.

ZZ4AA8475A.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.67 KB
 Viewed:  27629 Time(s)

ZZ4AA8475A.jpg

drblanke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest maps have the eastern edge of the fire just north of Mount Defiance. We could see the fire last night from White Salmon.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.06.28 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  27596 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.06.28 PM.png

windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time lapse animation below.

To see the original video:

http://www.skylinehospitalpt.org/gorgecam/Intraday_Video.mp4

FireTimeLapseAnim.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.77 MB
 Viewed:  27584 Time(s)

FireTimeLapseAnim.gif

windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a close up of the latest fire map image. I have marked some familiar landmarks for you like Viento and the Hood River Golf Course.

The GREEN diamond show the the peak of Mt. Defiance which is just across the river to the west of Hatch and Swell. If the fire goes up the slope of 4957 foot Mt. Defiance burning embers will throw a great distance. Have water hose ready for embers if you are within a few miles of Mt. Defiance.

Sunday night, Insitu launched its ScanEagle unmanned aircraft from Bingen Point into a gloomy, smoke-filled sky.

#The flight, which ran into the late morning hours, provided emergency responders on the ground with infrared aerial imagery in support of their efforts to control and contain the Eagle Creek Fire.

ZZ31829899.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.17 KB
 Viewed:  27580 Time(s)

ZZ31829899.jpg

tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalifornia stands in solidarity with our friends in the gorge. we're sending rain dances, positive energy and praying this thing will stop in time. we're all thinking about you guys up there...
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current as of 9/15/2017, 6:43:27 AM

Total Personnel 967
Size 41,550 Acres

The inversion over the northern drainages began lifting in mid-morning allowing fire to increase in activity. Fire will likely reach Mt. Defiance within the next 36 hours. Isolated instances of group torching and short uphill runs were observed south of the utility lines above Harphin Creek. Group torching was also observed adjacent to Bell Creek in the southwest corner of the fire. Fire continued flanking to the east, responding the the general topography, towards Wahtum Lake on the southeast
corner of the fire.

Summary:

Interstate 84 opened to westbound traffic last night. Crews have worked hard for more than a week to reinforce fire line, remove hazard trees, and address other public safety concerns. Fire line has been completed along I-84 from Bridal Veil to Cascade Locks. Drivers are reminded to obey posted speed limits, be aware of changing visibility and watch out for other hazards. All exits between Hood River and Troutdale will remain closed. Drivers are not to stop along the highway.

Yesterday, aircraft dropped nearly 100,000 gallons of water on the fire. Today, resources will be focused on the northeast corner of the fire to help protect the communities, infrastructure, and other values at risk there as burnout operations continue from Cascade Locks east to Mitchell Point. If conditions permit, helicopters may be used to assist with burnout operations west of Wyeth to bring fire down to the powerline corridor in a controlled manner. Crews will also be reinforcing line from Mitchell Point south to Wahtum Lake.

On the west side, fire is most active in the Bell Creek area. Crews will be constructing direct hand line and bucket drops may be used to cool hotspots in that area. Indirect dozer line will be connected to the powerline corridor near Larch Mountain to form a continuous line to the south.

Oregon State Fire Marshal crews will continue to patrol residences near the eastern edge of the fire. Two additional task forces have arrived to support the structural assessment and preparation work being performed in Hood River.

Command of the Archer Mountain Fire transferred to the Eagle Creek Unified Command at 0600 this morning. The Archer Mountain Fire is 100 percent contained. Crews will continue to mop-up and patrol.

Weather is expected to remain cooler with light winds. Friday evening and Saturday may bring lower relative humidity and a shift to light northeast winds. Significant precipitation is still forecast for early next week.

Resources Assigned: 26 crews (5-Type 1, 14-Type 2, 7-Type 2 Initial Attack); 54 Engines; 12 Helicopters; 9 Dozers; 16 Water Tenders; 967 Personnel
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photo were taken last night about 8PM. The top one is from my place looking west past the Hatchery towards Stevenson. Long exposure hand held so shaky. Trees were exploding every minute or so.

The second is from the Stevenson Cam.

I drove on Hay. 84 yesterday from Hood River to Cascade Locks to talk to locals about the fire. I will have photos and summary later today.

Mike Godsey

Fire Sept 16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.5 KB
 Viewed:  27093 Time(s)

Fire Sept 16.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Yesterday I drove from Hood River to Cascade Locks on Hay. 84 to talk to locals. It was a relief to find almost no sign of fire damage from the river to the lower slopes of the Gorge in this zone. Smoke obscured the walls of the Gorge but later from Hay. 14 it appears that the damage on the Gorge walls is patchy. I would expect more signs of fire damage west of Cascade Locks.

Cascade Locks local businesses are really hurting after almost 2 weeks with few customers. Despite this locals are feeding many of the almost 1000 fire fighters. There are huge signs everywhere thanking the fire fighters. See below.

I talked to the owner of Brigham Fish and she said they have had no deliveries of fish since the fire started and they fed firefighters until they depleted their supplies.

When you are in the area make it a point to patronize the businesses of these brave Cascade Locks folks that have borne the brunt of the Gorge fire.

Incidentally if you have not been to Brigham Fish for lunch I highly recommend it. Classy large selection seafood market & restaurant. What they call Fish & Chips is actually 2 large thick filets of Halibut, non greasy and lightly breaded + fries + decent coleslaw. Best seafood eating I have found in the Gorge!

Mike Godsey

brighamFish.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.46 KB
 Viewed:  27025 Time(s)

brighamFish.jpg

nada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove into PDX yesterday. Eastbound 84 was still closed; westbound didn't open from HR until 11:AM, so I crossed at Bridge of the Gods. Forked over my $2, but the attendant asked me where I lived, then waved me off with a "locals go for free" when I told her...

Smoke was thick, but the fire was patchy in the hills. Very surprised at how many places it burned right up to the highway and/or jumped the divider. It didn't burn everything- lots of trees are left - but I was shocked to see that everything right up to the waterfall and the lodge at Multanomah was just ash.

Crews have been insanely busy cutting down dead trees - stumps everywhere. None of the exits are open until you get to Troutdale.

Heartbreaking...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: