myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need a better high wind sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz, your local guy who said no to wave sails is sadly misinformed. I've been windsurfing since '92 and I only sail "wave" sails in winds over 18 mph. For me, that is size 6.9 and smaller. Why do I choose "wave" sails? It is because they are much much much more durable, more controllable, easier to water start, softer power on and softer power off, and the power is much more predictable. I've been sailing the same 6.8 Goya since 2008 and it is still sailing great. I switch to cammed sails for sizes 7.5 and up. All of my wave sails are fitted with RDM masts because they are much more durable. I've been using the same 3 RDM masts from Sailworks for about 10 years and the only sail that hasn't rigged well on them was a beautiful MauiSails Global. I sold that one to a guy with MauiSails masts.

I recommended wave sails to you because you are probably still falling and getting launched a lot. The wave sails suggested are super tough and can take most abuse. There is no sense in buying a new wave sail and tearing it up, better to buy a solid used sail until you get more time under your belt then try a few different sails to see what works for you, what fits your style and seems to flow with you as your skills improve.

And, you may have not received good advice on the Retro vs Revo question. Tube battens are more fragile than rod battens but that only counts in tumbling surf and catapults. Period. You might be surprised to know I replace two of the rod battens on all wave sails I own, except Ezzy's, with tube battens specifically the boom batten and the next batten up. This reduces the back-handedness some wave sails tend to exhibit. The tubes keep the draft a little farther forward helping the sail pull forward a bit more. I've been doing this for over 22 years and I have NEVER broken a tube batten in one of my wave sails. Never ever, not even once. And I sail a bit in Corpus Christi Bay. It doesn't have breaking , tumbling surf in the bay just like your lake. Modern on shore power wave sails will serve you well.

I sail about 90 sessions per year for the past 25 years, so I pretty much have a handle on the blasting and roller riding, not so much on the freestyling. Oh, and I've been the Corpus Christi sail repair guy since 1997 and I've made about 9000 sail repairs. I know what works and what doesn't.

For the record, Ezzy makes great sails. I've not sailed the Taka but have heard great things, I own an Ezzy Infinity and two Wave Tigers. I also own 4 Goya's and would sell the Wave Tigers to get two more Goya's. It's just a matter of how a sail feels in the hands to me, whether it flows with you as you maneuver on the water. The Goya's just happen to be a great fit. Nothing bad about the Ezzy's. Oh, yes, I weigh about 225 lbs so I would never own sails that don't pop me up and get me going.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Sails Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Local guy said no on the wave sail. Said they have no low end in the lulls and are are also on/off type sails when sheeted in/out.

That is a side shore wave sail. The onshore or power wave sails will work fine as most posters have offered.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your local dealer carries a brand or two and is any good (most surviving dealers are), I'd be tempted to buy his brand to support him and get hands-on advice. Don't get hung up on brand names, as MANY surviving brands make very good to excellent sails. Your goal is to get the right TYPE of sail. You don't need any cams, nor do you want a pure wave sail simply because their high foot is not easily managed by a beginner.

BTW, I'd need a 6.2-6.5 that day except for that very brief excursion to 5.2. Yes, I've been at this for almost 40 years, but even in my first month I was using bigger sails than a 4.7 in 20 mph winds (@ 180 pounds). Efficiency (using the tiniest sails that will occasionally plane) is a popular game many people play, but it has MANY disadvantages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: