myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling sails ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Foiling sails ? Reply with quote

seems that sailmakers are making foil specific sails... so far I seen Sailworks, Naish...and i am sure there are others. Not much info on them yet. Anyone have an idea on what makes them optimal for foiling ?

I have yet to get into foiling...but when i do, i dont plan on getting another sail just for foiling.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling is usual less loaded than windsurfing, so less op control needed and lighter wind performance desired. Naish advocates a soft sail for lite wind foiling.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailworks describes their "Flyer" as a 4-batten, 2-cam design, optimized for foiling. http://www.sailworks.com/the-gear/sails/flyer.html
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is described in the latest edition of the "WindSurfing Now" magazine:

"main focus right now is getting depth back into the sail, and to not have changes in balance between sail and rider affect the foil's trim. ....
lighter weight, softer rig tension, cambers, less twist and forward draft
"

sounds like a small, efficient longboard sail ??
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having foiled for a few months using mostly RAF freeride sails I can definitely see the appeal of cams. Smooth power delivery, ease of pumping and forward draft are where it's at.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give away your old single cam sails at the swaps. A couple guys were saying they are great for foiling.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with everything windsurfing, what works great depends on what you're pairing it up with and the conditions you're using it in...

Don't fret- most everyone who is getting into foiling is using their existing sails with great success. But as with all new aspects of our sport, the drive for perfection leads *some* people down the rabbit hole into exploring new gear options.

Just a few days ago, the PWA did an exhibition foil race at Sylt in just 4-9 knots of wind. Those guys were all using their biggest slalom sails, which tend to be 4 cam, locked and loaded type rigs. These were all matched up with higher aspect racy foils. These foils tend to need a bit more forward speed before you can take off, so you match it up with a relatively big, deep draft sail to make sure that you can get moving the minimum speed and have the stability to control it all once you get flying.

There are a lot of lower aspect, super early flying, slower, more maneuverable foils on the market, as well. They will match up with smaller, lighter, more pumpable sails a bit better, such as the new Naish Flyer or similar. For these foils, you don't need to be going quite so fast to get up and running, nor do you need quite as much power to keep flying, so a smaller, more luff-able sail will work quite well. Even an old school no batten dacron beginner sail can be really fun on a foil like this.

So... Figure out if you want to go fast, or have something more playful and maneuverable, even something for waves or freestyle... Then, get an appropriate foil... Then, match it all up with an appropriate rig if you want to go the extra step and have everything optimized and compatible.

Not sure if your existing stuff will work, or what to get? Feel free to hit me up or reach out to your local shop. Happy to help!

http://wind-nc.com
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Foiling sails ? Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
seems that sailmakers are making foil specific sails... so far I seen Sailworks, Naish...and i am sure there are others. Not much info on them yet. Anyone have an idea on what makes them optimal for foiling ?

I have yet to get into foiling...but when i do, i dont plan on getting another sail just for foiling.

It is a different sport, and while you obviously can use regular boards and sails, foil-specific boards and sails will make foiling easier, see https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.windsurf.boutique/actus/windfoil-test-prototype-xosail-fly.html that has a lot of very interesting information about the difference in behavior required by a foil sail. Or the new Exocet board: flat deck, beveled sides, 10 cm thick, most volume in the back, straps just not compatible with regular windsurfing ...

2ab17faf7eec61946495020bf746c791.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.6 KB
 Viewed:  15863 Time(s)

2ab17faf7eec61946495020bf746c791.jpg

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See youtube video below..This was my 2nd session using the Neil Pryde AL foil. Wind was very gusty ranging from nothing to 10mph gusting to 20mph. I'm using a RRD X-fire 122 slalom board and 2016 Naish Noa camless slalom sail. The sail has center dacron panels which is nice and soft and helps spring the board onto the plane.

I wouldn't say this is the most ideal lightwind set up (like a crazy 8-12 mph day) on the market! but as soon as it puffs up it felt really good.

One thing you do in light winds is a TON of pumping - so having a softer sail at first will help with your heart rate. I can defo see the advantages of being locked into a cambered sail though.

https://youtu.be/ugz872z03ZE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: