myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Calculating appropriate board volume
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Slogging is easiest on close reach and slightly higher, harder going broad or lower.

I find just the opposite. I can almost relax in a broad reach (hooked in if the breeze is steady, can stand or sit when slogging downwind, but have to be very vigilant to avoid pointing too high when slogging in a close reach. I don't know whether the difference is my poor balance or simply an acquired preference.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider.. Think.. Slog slightly upwind, you add to windspeed. Slog downwind, you subtract windspeed. Keep the train of thought and expound.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slogging upwind adds much less than 1 mph to the windspeed, which may be anywhere from 5 to 25 mph depending on sail size. To me, that mph difference matters FAR less than the effort I'm expending. That and many other factors make me get my raggedy butt upwind of my launch any time I don't trust the wind to hold.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had trouble getting or staying upwind, anywhere, including wavespots like. Florence.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
LeeD wrote:
Slogging is easiest on close reach and slightly higher, harder going broad or lower.

I find just the opposite. I can almost relax in a broad reach (hooked in if the breeze is steady, can stand or sit when slogging downwind, but have to be very vigilant to avoid pointing too high when slogging in a close reach. I don't know whether the difference is my poor balance or simply an acquired preference.

Probably because your sailing venue has upwind current to some degree. Since that current is not always at the same angle to the wind, your rig pressure may change relative direction compared to your center of lateral resistance.

BTW, how long are your arms (or how low are your booms) to be able to sit while sailing?

scottwerden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slogging upwind in the gorge is very different than slogging upwind in the ocean. Light wind wave sailing in Maui requires good slogging skills and most people I know have a light wind board that is about 120% of their body mass. So if you weigh 160 lbs (73kg), you would be on a 90L board in light winds. I also find that quad fins are more efficient at slogging upwind.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Calculating appropriate board volume Reply with quote

JPonHudson wrote:
I read somewhere that the formula for a boar volume is...

Sailor's weight + 20-30= Board volume.

...if I want to get a board that would have a minimum volume that would allow me to slog upwind if the wind drops, what volume should it have. Is there a formula for that?

Another "formula" I read is body weight times 1.2. For me, I have two powered-up medium wind boards that work well for me...turns out they're both that size. Go figure!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
Slogging upwind in the gorge is very different than slogging upwind in the ocean.

Sure is. One's salt water, one's fresh. One has sharks, the other barges. One can get waves with no wind, the other requires wind. The waves can reach 10 feet (mainland face height) in one, 50 feet in the other. They often break in one, almost never in the other.

But I'm guessing you're referring to the oft-claimed myth that the current flows against the wind. That depends on many variables in both the gorge and the ocean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: