myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Just ordered my first NEW board.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Just ordered my first NEW board. Reply with quote

Today I put down a deposit for my first NEW board, ever. I've been looking for a secondhand Starboard Futura for months now and good ones just never come up. On it's way to me is a new 2016 Starboard Futura 114l Carbon Ultra Core. Its a previous model but brand new and, out the door, it's almost a $1000 bucks cheaper than the current 2017/18's! I've been humming and hawing about this board for months. Seeing as my neighborhood thieves are forcing me to redo my light-wind quiver (still looking for my 6.0+6.5 Retros!), I figured now was the time to do the board so I know what direction to go with sail sizes. I'm, pretty excited even though I probably won't have the chance to sail it until the Spring time. This board will be taking over as my "go-to" board from a 2004 Carve 121 for light to moderate winds. The reason I went with the Futura is I wanted something that will plane up sooner than my Carve, be a bit faster, a bit lighter, and support a larger sail range especially in the top end. It seemed like the correct choice coming from a Carve. A futura is like the Sport model of the Carves. I'm about 140lbs so 114 seemed like the right fit too.

I was not able to demo a Futura so hopefully I made the right choice. Fingers crossed and biting nails.

Thoughts, opinions, tips, tricks?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to see you stoked with the event!!

Rest assured you will be happy with it. And probably go for a look all winter long.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't sleep with it
your wife will be jealous
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Futura Reply with quote

A good choice. I have the Futura 93 & used to have a 133 as well. The Futura bridges the gap from a pure freeride like your Carve to the Isonic. You will find the Futura feels more stable then the Carve at speed when you are locked in with the sail raked back. However, when it comes time to jibe the Futura will require more rider input where the Carve was more like auto pilot. The best way I can describe the difference in jibing is when you place your foot on the leeward rail & start the jibe the Carve feels more like you are going into a banked turn as you feel less resistance when you start your jibe. The Futura feels more like the turn is flat, not banked, so you feel more pressure when you start your turn.

I love my 93 as it is a great little board for fat water blasting & carving freestyle.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice. Will be fast and fun. Remember to inspect the board carefully before signing for the shipment. If the driver won't wait, inspect the box for the slightest imperfection. Even a drag mark. Write damaged packaging before you sign for your shipment. I learned this the hard way..Another thought. I am a big fan of NSI dual density pads on my new boards. Some might argue. I pad the stomp area between the front and rear straps. Its easy to do and make it look like it belongs. I rarely get launched over the nose but i also make a nice pad to cover the in pack area. I haven't had a delam or a broken nose since doing this. At least not on my boards....
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice. I ride the 111 for light wind.
loonie2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice! Now for the fin. Tectonics? ...
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Pleased to see you stoked with the event!!

Rest assured you will be happy with it. And probably go for a look all winter long.

Fortunately it could take a while for it to arrive which will help. It's coming up from Trident Sport's California warehouse on their next stock transfer which could be up to six weeks. I'm not sure what will be the bigger test of patience. Waiting for the board to arrive, or waiting for the Spring to arrive after the board arrives.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
don't sleep with it
your wife will be jealous

Maybe I'll wake up and find her spooning a Futura! Laughing
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loonie2 wrote:
Nice choice! Now for the fin. Tectonics? ...

The Futura 114 comes from the factory with a Drake Slalom DW 42 Ready to Race.

At the beginning of the summer I bought a Makani KAUILA V2: Slalom 42cm to use as a larger fin with my Carve 121 / 7.5 Retro. I was getting some spin out with the stock 38cm. However, I only sailed this combo once with the 42cm Makani. It seemed like a bear to get on to plain with the 42cm Makani. HOPEFULLY, the Makani 42cm will be more compatible the Futura. This means I will have duplicate 42cm fins for the Futura and missing something for smaller sails in the 6.0-7.0 range. I am considering the purchase of a second smaller Makani KAUILA V2. Perhaps a 38cm.

https://www.makanifins.com/collections/windsurfing-race-fins/products/kauilav2-slalom-windsurfing-fin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: