myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailworks Retro's. What quiver sizes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous quiver was fine. Agree no need for larger than 7.5.

For 2people a 6.5 and 6.0 are kinda essential.
Let the wife pick the colour

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think Blue/Red should compliment the Blue/Red in the Futura."

Given the color scheme of the Futura, I figured that the Red and Blue design would be your ultimate choice. I have to admit, I think it's the most striking color scheme of the three, and it would probably be my choice too.

You will have to let us know what sizes you ultimately buy. Again, if you do buy a sail that requires a 490 mast, I would definitely stress going with the 100% carbon Lightstick. Believe me, it is that much better.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my new Sailworks Retros!! Oooh Yeah.

In the end I went with 6.0, 6.5, 7.5. All in Blue Red. The same sizes as what I had before the theft.

I went with these sizes because:
1. The 6.0 is an excellent size for my wife as her largest sail and a good size for me when the wind starts to crank. We can rig 7.5 and 6.0. When the wind picks up I take over her 6.0 and we rig something smaller. Having cross over like this means less rerigging when winds change.
2. In moderate winds the 7.5 usually is a very good size for me. If I were to drop down from the 7.5 when the wind picks up, it lilkey wouldn't be to 7.0. It would be straight to 6.5 or 6.0. The 7.0 I think would feel a little underpowerd given that I would need to sail it most of the time. If I went 7.0 then I would have needed to go 8.0 for my largest sail. Bruce at Sailworks said that even though I "could" sail the 8.0 on a 460 mast, it really does not feel right on a 460. The 8.0 is cut with a 490 in mind. So, that would mean I would still need to buy a 490 mast even with the 8.0. If you have to buy a 490 anyway you may as well go straight to 8.5. Many on this formum and off have suggested that the Futura should plane up quicker and of course is a faster board in general. The 7.5 should be more effecient on this board.

IF I still feel a need for a sail above the 7.5, I may consider adding a 490 and 8.5 Retro but that won't be until the spring until I've had a few sessions to get used to the Futura with a 7.5. Then I will know if something bigger is really needed.

As for colors. I went with Blue Red becuase it matches the closest to the Futura. Blue Red is also a standard color scheme. I look after my gear and will likely have these sail 8-10 years... who knows. The Blue Red Sailworks from 10 years ago look pretty relevant today. The crazier the color scheme the more dated it looks as gear trends change. Lastley, The brighter colors Like Yellow, Orange, and Red tend to fade more. Yes, there is Red in what I chose but the blue shouldn't fade as much.

It will be a long wait until the Spring with three new Retros and a Futura 114 eagerly waiting to get on the water.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring? The season just kicked off.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up in Hood River watching it rain for the next 4 days. To me it looks
like this season is just about over.

Now where'd I put my sticks!

-Craig

grantmac017 wrote:
Spring? The season just kicked off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: