myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl55

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using JP SuperLightWind 90(cm) board (2012 vintage, 154L) with Horue Vini Extreme Light Wind foil. Great combo for light wind.
My wife is on 2015 Isonic 120 (80cm wide) with Slingshot foil, which seems to be a very good match as well.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Foil Boards Reply with quote

CoreAS wrote:
I'm using a RRD X-fire 122 (225x79) with NP RS flight Aluminum foil. I need a good 12-14 mph wind to get going (but I also weigh 195 lbs) the other guys are using carbon Horue with dedicated Horue boards that can clearly get up flying in lighter winds.

The dedicated Foil boards have a thick/square tail with plenty of volume which helps you pump up on the foil, it definitely helps in the lighter winds.

Foiling is just like the other disciplines you can always make do with certain equipment but if you really want to fly with 1.5 meter less sail you got to get the right kit.

Exactly. Just as you an Wind-NC.com have pointed out you should match mission, with foil, with board. I have a 2015 Isonic 110 & a 2013 Fanatic Falcon, both with deep tuttle boxes. At 75.5 & 85 cm wide both would work if paired with the proper foil.

I was looking for something that would go in the lightest of winds & be more playful. No extreme angles or speed so I opted for the Naish foil & Naish Hover 122 dedicated foil board.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg....I'm looking hard at the Naish 122 foil set up. Its a lot of cash for a retired guy. Been windsurfing since 1982 and I know that you get what you pay for.
Any input on that set would be helpful. Ie: how hard or easy it works, bad crashes, stability. Anything you can think of....thanks
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to size foils with boards? What foil for a 70cm or 75cm or 80cm?
Only spec I see on foils is mast length.

Anyone sail a foil board with just a fin?
pete1111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:

you got 3 types of foils out there now. Full on racing like the carbon Neil Pryde which I have, mid aspect ratio like Horue and low aspect like the Naish .
The higher the aspect ratio the wider the board needs to be in the tail. I'm on my 135l 85 wide Angulo slalom board and it works but could use a board with a wider tail. If you like speed High aspect is the only way to go. my buddy's Horue is like the tortoise on the water compared to the NP.
I'll post up on the LI windsurfing group and let you know where we are and you'll be able to try out both.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN,

I'll post here after I get some runs with the setup, but it may be a while. I ordered it last week. We are definitely out of the thermal season here so no wind other than storm fronts & clearing winds. On average I only sail once in November & once in December every other year Crying or Very sad

Coachg
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1111 wrote:
skyking1231 wrote:

you got 3 types of foils out there now. Full on racing like the carbon Neil Pryde which I have, mid aspect ratio like Horue and low aspect like the Naish .
The higher the aspect ratio the wider the board needs to be in the tail. I'm on my 135l 85 wide Angulo slalom board and it works but could use a board with a wider tail. If you like speed High aspect is the only way to go. my buddy's Horue is like the tortoise on the water compared to the NP.
I'll post up on the LI windsurfing group and let you know where we are and you'll be able to try out both.

Thanks Pete......

That is why the naish 122 board is so narrow.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:

Some brands list lots of specs, others don't, but you can generally look at the shape of the front wings and go from there. If they look short and wide, like two wave fins glued together at the bases, it will probably be quick to fly with small sails in very light wind but with low top speed, and be fine with a narrower board. If the front wing looks long and skinny, like two high aspect race fins glued together at the bases, then it will probably need more board speed before it flies, so you want to pair it up with larger/racier sails and wider, thicker tailed boards.

Other specs to pay attention to are fuselage length, and front wing area and thickness which will probably line up with the shape as described above. For fuselage length- the longer it is, the more stable the ride will probably be, but it will start to lack playfulness and responsiveness if it gets too long.

If you're having trouble telling the difference between all of the different options, then just write an email or place a phone call to your favorite shop and see what they have to say. Feel free to hit us up at Wind-NC, we're happy to help.

Oh, as far as using a foil specific board for regular sailing goes... There are far too many shapes out there to say anything with certainty, but in general the foil boards have really parallel rails that are quite thick, with boxy, wide, square tails and very flat rockers. So they should plane up quite early, but might be bouncy depending on bottom shape, and probably won't hold a rail in the jibes very well.

If you want to sail regular, too, then pick a foil ready board that blends all of your goals. Early planing and fast fast fast with big racy sails? Get a slalom board in the 120-140ish range. Bigger is probably better.

Or one step easier get a free-race board, which will have very similar characteristics overall but be easier to sail with a broader range of sail types (freeride no cam or full cam slalom).

Or two steps easier get a freeride board, where you will sacrifice early planing and speed with regular windsurf but gain on the handling and fun easy jibing.

Or if you live near a wave spot, get a foiling SUP crossover.

Also, think about your average winds that you'll be trying to foil in. Get lots of days in the 6-10 knot range? You should probably get a super early flying, low aspect foil so that you can be sure that you'll get up and running with minimal effort and regular sails. Or, if speed is your game in that same light wind, then get a really wide board and use a big 8.5 or 9.5 race sail and pump your butt off with a race foil. Once you're up and flying, you'll keep going with minimal effort but it takes some ooomph to get there...

If your low wind days are more in the 10-15knot range, you can get whatever you want because it all works.

Again, if this is all a bit confusing, you should really reach out to a shop and talk directly to someone, giving them your specific goals and conditions and they can help you get rigged up with the perfect kit. Happy to help if you can't find what you need at your local shop.

http://wind-nc.com
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Foil Boards Reply with quote

[quote="coachg"]
CoreAS wrote:
I'm using a RRD X-fire 122 (225x79) with NP RS flight Aluminum foil. I need a good 12-14 mph wind to get going (but I also weigh 195 lbs) the other guys are using carbon Horue with dedicated Horue boards that can clearly get up flying in lighter winds.

I was looking for something that would go in the lightest of winds & be more playful. No extreme angles or speed so I opted for the Naish foil & Naish Hover 122 dedicated foil board.

Coachg

Coachg

From reading reports and watching videos the Naish board and foil seem to work very well. The front wing on the Naish is huge which is clearly a winner in very light winds.

We have a couple Naish foils on order with the deep tuttle adapter so it will be interesting to see how this all pans out!

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturdays foiling day, very gusty winds.

normally I would be on a 7.8 but with the foil I was on a 6.4 Naish Sprint

https://youtu.be/hFdFbq2rdQ4

Still working on the foiling jibe Smile At around 2.05 minutes in, the wind got really light - easily sub 10 mph...now I'm not a light guy but I ended up doing my impression on Kai Lenny and pumped the foil using some chunks..the ability to keep moving through lulls is amazing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: