myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Protecting Your Nose
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Protecting Your Nose Reply with quote

What is the best compromise for protecting the nose of your board? I just bought a new Starboard Futura. I would like to minimize the chance of damaging the nose from catapults. It seems the only two options are a Boom Bra, or a board nose protector. A nose protector seems like it would offer the best protection however, they are seriously ugly and they are permanent. I really don't want to permanently stick something like that on my nice new board. The Boom Bra is removable which is nice but they don't look like they provide as much protection. Especially if it impacts from the side. What do you recommend? Any other solutions?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bra helps with the boom head. The mast is another area. ION, make a nice mast pad, downside is when tacking you can not grip the mast right under the boom head, having the pad down some alleviate that aspect.
Neither of these are noticeable. Because most boards are short, so I was told, the boom head contact is forward of the board nose, bras are harder to find.
I was told DaKine no longer make them.

The nose pad , more protection, someone will be along to tell how they made theirs from yoga mats or such. Removing one would not be any harder than foot pads, some heat, some elbow grease, friendly chemical.. no way impossible.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. My dual solution cut my nose damage rate from once a month to zero in 25 years. Certainly skill advancement mattered, but I still crash many times a day because making sure I don't crash makes for boring sailing.

SEARCH the forum for my dozen or more descriptions of protecting my nose (and forward rails, deck, tail, and groin) using DaKine's Formula Mast Pad (Neil Pryde also makes a T-shaped boom-bra/mast pad combo*) plus unobtrusive NSI deck padding in the high-wear, high impact, and slip-prone areas (many people think it's factory-applied and that it enhances my boards' looks).

* When's the last time you owned or even saw a board long enough for the boom to hit the nose? The problem is the mast, not the boom.

Try key words such as NSI, Formula mast pad, deck pads, nose damage, waffle grid, etc. for MANY posts describing sources, materials, and application methods. Padding a nose and forward rails takes just minutes and adds color (or blends in) as you wish, because it's available in many colors.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom bras won't protect the board at all, not near enough padding to be effective. BUT I always use one, however only for preventing the inadvertent opening of the boom clamp, for that it works very well.
Nose pads "are seriously ugly", yes perhaps, but many people also consider helmets seriously ugly so they won't wear one.
Pick your poison or look sharp.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If boards were meant to have obvious nose protection, they would be manufactured and sold that way. Moreover, if you experience catapults that would severely damage the nose of your board, it's unlikely that 3/8" foam padding will offer much protection. Also, the idea that the board might be damaged under padding and still leak in water is always a worry. I'd rather see the damage if I have a crash or mast slam, and then focus on fixing it.

Like others have mentioned, if you want to protect the nose and the deck forward of the mastbase on your board, use some mast padding below the boom.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if sailing with a padded board nose allows you to sail with reckless abandon, then pad that sucker up and free your mind.

-Craig
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pad the nose and the stomp area between the front and back straps with NSI dual density pads on all my new boards. De lamination in the stomp area has been a issue for me until I decide to pad that area. No failures since using the pads and no nose dings...
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deviator plus mast pad to protect the sides.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NSI pads are pretty good: http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106 The top layer is stiffer and distributes the impact, and the lower layer provides the cushion. The one I have is about 1 inch thick and would protect against all but the hardest impact.

Obviously, your call about the cosmetics, but as U2 mentioned you can remove them if you want to.

I wish the manufacturers would do a little more to protect the nose area. Everyone hits the nose with the mast at one time or another. Dwight Fisher uses innegra on the decks and his boards seem to be pretty durable: https://vimeo.com/239373039

dmilovich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion mast pad, just under boom works well. Over time it can open a bit, but you can tape it and throw in a 130 F oven for a few hours and it closes back up. Does make grabbing the mast tougher as was pointed out, but encourages boom to boom handling for me anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: