myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Sail repair Reply with quote

I would appreciate some recommendations on sail repairs.

I have a few old sails that I acquired for little or no money that have some tears in the monofilm.
With little invested I would like to keep repair costs to a minimum.
What are reasonable options for "repair tape".
Is there a limit on length of repair? Does it depend on the part of the sail where monofilm has been cut?

I have seen online that you can purchase rolls of "sail repair tape" which I will consider but how about other options such as "Gorilla Repair Tape"

Thanks in advance
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Tear Aid Type A patch kits. You can get them thru amazon and others. The patch tape has excellent adhesive that never works its way free from the sail surface. It's slightly stretchy material so it will conform to the shape of the seams and threading near the sail tear if the patch extends over these areas. I've used it on sail windows and on the fabric mast sleeve and the repair has lasted several years now with no pealing or signs of age. I've also used it to cover over worn spots on batten pockets. Really good stuff.

Rob
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is sail repair tape with reinforced grid, I Stuff I have came from a fellow windsurfer.

This is available at Home Depot, DuPont TYVEK, house insulation tape, it’s light, sticky and durable.

Thicker packing tape would be a option, duct tape not.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
uchida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a windsurf shop and get a few of their shop stickers that racers put on their sails. You might end up a sailing advertisement for the shop but what the heck, the stickers are usually free. I was free advertising for Kanaha Kai surf shop for a full summer before I totally blew out the panel. Those stickers work really well. How many pros have their sail numbers, sponsor logos, etc, peeling off their sails? NONE! Way better than so called "sail repair tape".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: