myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter sailing skills don't match my summer skills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Winter sailing skills don't match my summer skills Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:

Does anyone else experience this?

We all do. Here's the good news: Your summer skills will come back to you sooner and advance faster from your having sailed later into the Fall and earlier in the Spring. I myself sail year round. Where I windsurf (Long Island) we get way more high wind days (4.7 and smaller sails) in the late fall/winter/early spring than in temperate times...this is the season that makes high wind gear a good investment.

Stay safe, sail with friends, take frequent breaks, and congratulate yourself for getting out there! BTW here's the "rule of 100" my friends and I follow:

Air temperature + Water temperature + Wind Speed + Weeks since last session + 5 (if it's sunny) must equal 100 or higher.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2012/01/100-degree-rule-long-island-style.html

yeah our sails ice up!

rexi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that rule Michael, and your blog, i´ve read it for a long time and it´s motivating to read.

Totally agree with you that it takes time to get used to the winter armour but is not that bad when you have gotten used to it. Then it´s all about what you are used to, i sailed in Tenerife last year and was struggling a bit with that barefoot sailing for the first two hours. Getting stuck in the straps and all sorts of weird stuff since i wasn´t wearing my 5mm boots Smile Also the same with the mittens, always a little weird sailing the first session with them but then all good. I have never been able to sail with other gloves then palmless or the dakine though, despite trying amany different ones.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our local semi-pro windsurfer Yvente follows NO rules !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7VwbwaywY&list=UU2Im1Off77wFH3E1kS2NM7g
krotfin-oct91@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into the 2nd winter of Ianovated tube suit sailing. Great stuff! And works with different gloves - open mitts that come with it, Mystyc, NPs, as well as with closed Dakine mitts (discussed in these forums) for when it is colder.

Water is still warm-ish around Chesapeake and Midatlantic/Delmarva coast, but these NWs are coming now, and they are a chilling! The on sast week - dawn patrol started in 50F air, 23kt NW. Getting used to the thick suit and mitts.
-Fil

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 1.32.16 PM_sm1_PatapscoKeyBrdg.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Viewed:  13147 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 1.32.16 PM_sm1_PatapscoKeyBrdg.png

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need no steenkin' gloves or booties or hoods at 50, partly because I overdress my body, partly because I've gotten used to 50, and partly because it beats wearing boxing gloves on my hands, combat boots on my feet, and a size 6-7/8 vice on my head. My exact cutoff for any of those depends on many factors on any given day.

C Bay water temps are still in the 60s ... board shorts temps for some sailors around here. (The river temps are almost 10 degrees below C Bay temps this week, and some guys are still in shortys.)

It's all a matter of acclimatization and how much each sailor likes or hates crap on his hands, feet, or head. I've seen guys wear 5mm dry suits, hoods, and boots in 100/72 air/water temps in July in Hood River and full steamers in July on Maui.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid winter sailing is as much a feeling of achievement at successfully coping with potentially dangerous odds, as it is of trying to advance sailing skills. Just being there in relative comfort, and getting that sense of satisfaction, can be the motivation.

It is now the norm in many places. Don't listen to the diversionary tactics of those who don't, or can't, manage to cope with it. Take the cue from those who do and kit up accordingly to put safety first, and accept the challenge.

It IS well worth it for that sense of achievement!
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even "hot" windsurfers go out in the cold Smile

https://youtu.be/9HoBtOa1_vo
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Take the cue from those who do and kit up accordingly to put safety first, and accept the challenge.

Completely agree. 90% of the challenge is just getting out there. My experience is that, once I am on the water, I am always glad I decided to go. To return to OP's question, there is little doubt that relatively cold muscles and limbs, combined with extra covering reduces agility. On the OBX I wear gloves and boots for about 4 months a year, and I feel (even more!) clumsy with them on. Most people also probably sail more conservatively in the winter to reduce the frequency of icy cold plunges. So the whole package feels less skillful, but as others have said, you'll enjoy it, and be in good shape for the rashguard only days.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filsfin- Those Ianovated suits are AWESOME! Mine takes me comfortably into the low 30s air/water, as long as I layer underneath it a bit. I don't think that the Ianovated suit holds you back at all- it is very easy to move in due to the oversize cut, and there are no forearm/grip issues to contend with.

Here's a vid from a few years ago. I am able to sail basically up to snuff with my normal summer moves, despite the winter air temps.

https://vimeo.com/116439906

Common sense must prevail, though- I do usually stay closer to shore than normal, and have started wearing a life vest and helmet most of the time. If you do get into a jam, help is much further away in the winter, and every minute counts when it's that cold. I also don't sail for as long as normal when it's super cold out- just a 30min or maybe hour long sesh is plenty.

If you haven't seen the Ianovated suits before, check out some details here:

https://shop.wind-nc.com/collections/ianovated-wetsuits-with-integrated-hand-warming-system

http://wind-nc.com
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the difference between double nylon and smooth skin
besides the $100 price difference Smile
nice sailing btw !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: