myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speed Tracking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Speed Tracking Reply with quote

It would be great to have a device that would announce my current speed so I would learn how adjustments of stance and rig affect how fast I am going. Is there an app that could do that?
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Tuning Reply with quote

Using a GPS or app is not a very efficient method of tuning your stance & equipment. Wind rarely stays the same so by the time you come in & make adjustments the wind would likely change so you would be comparing apples to oranges.

A better method would be to sail with a buddy. You make changes while he doesn't and the wind speed change would affect you both. That way you would know if your changes made you slower or faster and you get a better sense of what your adjustments are doing.

Coachg
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where and when i sail wind changes dramatically
depends where you go on the inland lake too ...
too bad there is no GPS that reads current wind at same time ...
even from internet would be fine ...
guess you can always check time and wind speeds after ...
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think coachg is missing that you're looking for instant feedback, which can be very helpful. The best way to do this is to use a cheap Android phone with the GPSLogit app, a waterproof armband, and a set of waterproof headphones. There are a few posts about this on my blog at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/search/label/GPSLogit (scroll down past the first post). I usually spent about $50 on a phone at BestBuy, and another $20 or so for a waterproof armband and headphones from Amazon. The whole setup is still cheaper than most GPS watches.

For instant feedback about changes on the water, GPSLogit is great. For trim changes between runs, changes in the wind can limit the usefulness, but it can still help. If you have someone you can drag race with, that can be better to see the effect of trim changes.

All waterproof bags will leak sooner or later, and even a few drops of water in the bag can kill your phone if you're unlucky. Double-bag the phone in a small ziplock bag, and it will live longer.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative is to use a GPS device or watch on your upper arm, so that you can see your speeds while sailing with both hands on the boom. You 'd need a band extender or two for watches like the Locosys GW-60. That may be the method of choice if you already have a GPS watch but not a phone you want to use. However, I find the voice announcements from GPSLogit superior, since you don't have to take your eyes of the water. There's another app out there for GPS speed logging that may also have voice announcements - but I'm not sure about whether that's implemented already, nor do I recall the app's name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: