myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing sail is reality now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always of the opinion that the best thing that happened to skiing is snowboarding.

I now have one pair of K2 Obsethed and that's it (well to be honest three pairs of the same ski - rock version, nice non scratched version and the version with dedicated backcountry bindings). Nothing else.

Looking on this inflatable bladder I almost want to say that may be the best thing that happened to windsurfing is... well this thing that they inflate and send into the air... Smile still dont want to say this name out load...
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Sail Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
what regular sail ( curved plate profile ) offers , 15 MPH wind range at it's best?

I'm not a sail expert by any means, but from my experience you can't put a fixed number on all sail ranges. For me, as sails get smaller their range gets smaller & as sails get bigger their range gets bigger. So my 9.2 has a bigger range than 15 mph & my 5.0 a smaller range than 15 mph.

killogramm wrote:
Because wing is floats it will rotate itself to proper position. Than it will take off by itself , you have to hold it by the boom to prevent fly off

This was one of my concerns in high wind sailing. I teach "Never ever, ever, ever, ever let go of your boom" but it happens. Separation from your kit in high winds could be a potential disaster as the wind would blow your kit away since the sail will not sink. It also sounds like your sail doesn't de-power. I'd hate to be forced to only jibe in high, off shore winds.

killogramm wrote:
This is how it usually look: We start day Me with 5.8 wing, my wife with 4.5. Everyone else taking 6 and 7 . Than suddenly no on in the water, my wife ask, where is everyone? Well went for sail change. Than they show up with their 5 and 4. Than wind drops, and everyone standing, waiting for wind to come back. In meanwhile we on planning speed. Than they go back to get their 6 and 7. By the time they get back on the water wind is back too. For them it's time to go and get their smaller sail again.

We obviously sail in different locations. I don't experienced such wind variations where I sail but I have experienced this at the Gorge. Also, much of my sailing is a quick 1-1.5 hours after work on the way home with rigging time about 1/6th what I saw in your video. I don't use race sails for quick freeriding or B&J sessions.

But as stated earlier, I can see plenty of potential in your sail, especially as a school or club where you can leave it rigged.

Coachg
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
ask NJ windsurfing association, they have plenty members who have seen my sail in action.

Where do you sail normally?

sm
dmilovich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha. I love this forum.

To wit: Alap's,"best thing that happened to skiing was snowboarding" (true), and Zirt's reminiscing about his beloved Haut Routes' performance (also true).

Both so wonderfully off-topic. Hmm, anyone Jones-ing for snow as much as we are? Geez, I hope we get some. Utah's so dry right now, although our reservoirs are full (brrrrr). At least Zirt's still sailing, lucky guy. I'm thinking Mojave for Thanksgiving...
killogramm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
killogramm wrote:
ask NJ windsurfing association, they have plenty members who have seen my sail in action.

Where do you sail normally?

sm
Seaside park NJ . How about if I post session video with boom camera?
killogramm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing Sail Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
killogramm wrote:
what regular sail ( curved plate profile ) offers , 15 MPH wind range at it's best?

I'm not a sail expert by any means, but from my experience you can't put a fixed number on all sail ranges. For me, as sails get smaller their range gets smaller & as sails get bigger their range gets bigger. So my 9.2 has a bigger range than 15 mph & my 5.0 a smaller range than 15 mph.

killogramm wrote:
Because wing is floats it will rotate itself to proper position. Than it will take off by itself , you have to hold it by the boom to prevent fly off

This was one of my concerns in high wind sailing. I teach "Never ever, ever, ever, ever let go of your boom" but it happens. Separation from your kit in high winds could be a potential disaster as the wind would blow your kit away since the sail will not sink. It also sounds like your sail doesn't de-power. I'd hate to be forced to only jibe in high, off shore winds.

killogramm wrote:
This is how it usually look: We start day Me with 5.8 wing, my wife with 4.5. Everyone else taking 6 and 7 . Than suddenly no on in the water, my wife ask, where is everyone? Well went for sail change. Than they show up with their 5 and 4. Than wind drops, and everyone standing, waiting for wind to come back. In meanwhile we on planning speed. Than they go back to get their 6 and 7. By the time they get back on the water wind is back too. For them it's time to go and get their smaller sail again.

We obviously sail in different locations. I don't experienced such wind variations where I sail but I have experienced this at the Gorge. Also, much of my sailing is a quick 1-1.5 hours after work on the way home with rigging time about 1/6th what I saw in your video. I don't use race sails for quick freeriding or B&J sessions.

But as stated earlier, I can see plenty of potential in your sail, especially as a school or club where you can leave it rigged.

Coachg
Of course you can't put fixed number on all sails. Deep camber sails will have smaller range but better lift, more flat sails will develop less lift but little bigger range, My point is that it is still VERY SMALL RANGE.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Location Reply with quote

Northern California. Sacramento Delta. It blows in the morning & evening with a mid day lull in the mid teens. Sometimes it blows all day but during heat waves it may only blow in the early mornings. Did I mention that unlike the east coast the wind here always blows in the same direction.

Coachg
killogramm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Location Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Northern California. Sacramento Delta. It blows in the morning & evening with a mid day lull in the mid teens. Sometimes it blows all day but during heat waves it may only blow in the early mornings. Did I mention that unlike the east coast the wind here always blows in the same direction.

Coachg
Nice, what can I say. Well, for the rest of us, a windy day is a treat and it all different directions and wind speeds and..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaAyWwjLv8k

Last edited by killogramm on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Location Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
Nice, what can I say. Well, for the rest of us, a windy day is a treat and it all different directions and wind speeds and.....

Yes, I know. We get people who fly all the way out here from Boston to take an ABK camp for that exact reason. It is far easier to learn a new maneuver when you have visual landmarks that never change and consistent wind.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rig blowing away would be a concern.

The wind direction, comment EAST coast, I sail in Maine, the wind direction is not the same .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 11 of 25

Jump to: