myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Learning to use the straps and a harness, and starting to plane - inboard straps.

Comfortable while planing fast in your harness with good water starts and making half or more of your gybes - outboard straps.

Assuming good power and speed:

A heavy guy may not want the full outboard strap location unless he uses a bigger fin.

A light guy may need the full outboard strap location and possibly a smaller fin.

Some good tips. Thank you techno900.

I am lightweight. Comfortable planing fast in my harness. Getting about 90% waterstarts on one tack. 40% on the other tack. Gybes... no planing gybes yet. That is what I am working on this coming season. I spent the later part of this summer working on planing gybe entries.

So other than the gybes maybe now is a good time to switch the straps over to outside and back at the same time as I learn the new board.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
Futura's are a properly quick freerace board. Afaik, there are only two rows of footstrap holes, I would suggest starting with the middle holes in the inner row front and back - a spread of about 42-43cm seems about right for me.

Moving to the outer holes (keep the same row front and row) will enable you to find 6th gear on this board and will be significantly quicker. The outer row can be pretty dedicated and therefore harder to find than the inner row. I would suggest moving the straps outboard when you find yourself moving your foot out of the strap and further out over the rail when sailing - you'll know when it happens.

Wider spread enables move scissoring / levering action and therefore more ability to turn which is why straps on wave boards are spread wider. On your free race board keep them tighter together for better speed.

Having inboard straps on big freerides (100l+) is purely for learning, as soon as you are able to get into outer positioned straps - do it!

Your Carves outer straps are likely to be less extreme than your futura and therefore will be a really good stepping stone.

hope that's useful

Some great advice ss59. thank you.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
To get the most out of the Futura, I would recommend immediately going with outboard straps in the rearmost positions. It will definitely be the fastest setup, and it will give you the best control over sailing trim, particularly being a smaller stature lightweight sailor. Why start out trying to de-tune its performance potential? If it proves too much for you, you can always make some adjustments to fit your comfort zone.

Regarding the Carve, I would recommend the outboard straps too. You already know what the inboard straps offer, so why not open the door to the board's higher performance potential.

Thank you swchandler. I appreciate the advice.

Once I get familiar with the Futura I can certainly move the straps around if needed. However, I need to start somewhere and I would prefer that somewhere to be the best position if possible. This board is a whole new kettle of fish fore me. It was not possible to demo the board so I an going in to this blind folded.

It may take 3 or 4 sessions before I get familiar with the board and begin to know if the straps are right or not. For those of you who sail very frequently this can be quick adjustment period. For me I sail about once a week during the on season. So the transition could be as much as a month out of a 5 month season. That's why if it's possible to get the footstrap position correct out of the gate it could really help give the season a jump start.

Next season is still months away... nothing to do do but think... or as some may say. Overthink.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, only you can answer your questions. Some people learn faster than others. Everything from fin size to boom height, harness type to line size and on an on, effect everything else. Trial and error is going to be your best teacher. Pick a middle ground and adjust from there. Inside or out side set them in the center holes and try it out. Here is but one reason its difficult to answer some of your questions. Besides the fact that we are all giving you different suggestion. I ride a free race board much like your new ride. I have pretty big feet. I set my front straps out board and all the way back. The back straps are all the way back but on the inside. This is a great set up for me and it allows me to get the most out of my board and fin. Maybe not perfect for smaller feet. Set it up, go for a ride and adjust it until you got it right for YOU...
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you're trying to create too much of a fuss in this transition. Go for the optimum right out of the chute and make it just a single transition. The idea that you need to go from transition to transition could cost you more than a fifth of your sailing season. Have faith in yourself, and you'll learn much quicker.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I need to start somewhere and I would prefer that somewhere to be the best position ... if it's possible to get the footstrap position correct out of the gate

One must define "best" and "correct" before s/he can seek, achieve, or even recognize them. They will also change as your skills and objectives change.

Which is best or correct ... a wave board or an iPhone?
Altogether now: It depends on what you want to do with it.
I have several boards in the 95 to 115L range, and wouldn't put their straps anywhere near the rails because that would oppose what I want from them.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:

Rolling Eyes Well that was helpful.

It’s not that we necessarily have natural windsurfing intuition, it’s that we have paid our dues experimenting with our gear and learning by figuring out what works for us and what doesn’t. No one can tell you “put the foot straps in hole X and you will be good to go.” If there was only one “perfect” position, the board manufacturers only would have given you ONE set of holes.

Measure the distance on your existing board from the mast track to the front foot strap and then put the straps on your new board in the same spot if you want a starting point. Otherwise, just pick a spot in the middle and go sail the board. If you can’t get back in the straps, move them forward. If you feel like you’re walking out of the straps, then move them out and back.

You’re looking at maybe a half day worth of experimentation to dial in the strap position to your existing skill level and conditions. After that, keep a screw driver in your gear bag and experiment. We are talking about taking a 10 minute break to relocate the straps - I stand by my over-thinking claim.

sm
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you've got really large feet or are very heavy (which you aren't) you will want the outers. I asked this exact question before I had built the skills to use the correct ones. I tried them and didn't like them, they didn't work because I wasn't agressive enough. Ultimately that slowed my development since I didn't learn the setup and techniques to sail fast until I moved onto a board with less options.
So put them in the middle of the outers and learn how to make that work rather than holding the board back to your current skill level.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Rolling Eyes Well that was helpful.

It would be, if you'd take it to heart. You DO overthink this crap, and it leads you to ignore tons of good advice and leads us not to bother responding. It's not intuition most of us are coming from; it's having spent years in the trenches and knowing that there ain't no "Right" or "correct" way to do much in this sport. As somebody said above, if there were some "correct" place to put your feet, the boards would have come with only one place to put the straps. You haven't even told us what you want your board to do; I had to Google the board to find out that its primary, maybe sole, purpose is speed.

That changes the advice of many of us. It tells me you place a much higher priority on straight line mph than on learning how to jibe, chop hop, maneuver a bit, ot just in general learn the various elements of windsurfing. Now I say ignore the inboard strap positions and accept a slower learning curve generated by your decision to go faster even if it slows down your overall learning curve. Like everything else in this sport, that's your call.

mamero wrote:
modern Freerace board. Different board design, construction, shape, size, footstrap positions, fin etc.

and different purpose.

mamero wrote:
I am also asking what approach to the footstraps is going to promote and accelerate my general progress.

We've given you the logical answer based on scores of years of experience: Put them in them somewhere in the middle and experiment. You exercise your right not to listen.

mamero wrote:
Am I ultimately hampering or accelerating my the transition to the Futura (an my general progress) by doing this [playing racerhed before I can even jibe or waterstart reliably]?

IMO, you are trying to run before learning how to walk.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me mention right up front, that I haven't bought nor wanted a
speed oriented board since about 2004 (my last one was a sweet GEM
slalom board). That means my suggestions are not that valid, but,
if you are going to ride the thing with large sails (and therefore a big fin),
then you probably want outboard strap positions (I hate outboard strap
positions myself, but it's a style thing). If you're going to spend most
of the ride time near the middle of the boards sail range, then put the straps
somewhere mid point of all the possibilities, if you want some quick
improvement, or just a similar feel to your old board while you adjust, then
more inboard would be my suggestion. I might also recommend that if
learning to plane out of jibes is a near term goal, it'll be easier to muddle
through some near planning jibes with inboard forward straps. That's not
how the board was designed, and it'll actually rip a better jibe from a more
outboard front strap, but you really need to be on your game to make that
work right, and it'll be a slower learning progression from the outboard straps.

Also, since you're light, I'm thinking you're small, which usually means
small feet. If your feet are big, you'll be wanting a little more inboard set-up.

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: