myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does skill level help guide strap position, so does personality, drive and aggressiveness. If you are the mellow type, just wanting to cruse and have fun, go inboard and forward. If you are gung-ho and want to smoke everyone on the water, go outboard and back.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Set Up Reply with quote

mamero,

We can't possibly tell you where to place your straps. Far too many variables in wind strength, sail size, fin size, boom height, mast base placement, harness line length, stance & water state. Set it up, sail it and then post back on how it feels. Then we can help you further.

Until then:

Outboard favors bigger sails & more powerful fins. If your heels are dragging in the water when outboard you are too heavy for your setup. Put on a bigger sail & more powerful fin. Outboard will be harder to jump, harder to jibe & harder to ride in choppy water. Outboard favors a more hiked out stance riding the fin so greater potential for speed.

Inboard favors smaller sails & less powerful fins. If you find your feet wandering out of the straps towards the edge when sailing move your straps outward or put on a smaller sail/fin. Inboard straps favor maneuvering, jumping & rough water. You will be more upright in stance & ride the board more than the fin.

Moving straps backward allows the nose to ride higher requiring more MFP to keep the nose down. You shorten the waterline so potentially greater absolute speed. When jibing you will have less rail in the water.

Moving straps forward puts more pressure on the nose requiring less MFP to keep the nose down. You lengthen the waterline so potentially earlier planing. When jibing you will have more rail in the water.

Now go sail and adjust based on need.

Coachg

Last edited by coachg on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I am also asking what approach to the footstraps is going to promote and accelerate my general progress.

Inboard.

Everything is easier to learn with the foot straps inboard.

Even with advanced skills, jibing/jumping/rough water/wave play are all better done with foot straps inboard.

The things that are potentially better with straps outboard (top end speed, sailing upwind) require considerable skill to actually get the performance. Develop those skills with straps inboard...you'll get there much faster. When you are planing out of 50% of your jibes is the time to play with straps outboard (if your aim is to improve your skills.)

Because you're light, you can get away with straps inboard and back, but only if you sail fully sheeted in and committed to the harness. You can get a bit more speed this way if you want it.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
mamero wrote:
I am also asking what approach to the footstraps is going to promote and accelerate my general progress.

Inboard.

Even with advanced skills, jibing/jumping/rough water/wave play are all better done with foot straps inboard.

.... a broad generalization that may or may not apply to the OP.

One of the keys to gybing successfully is to enter the turn at top speed, fully powered up. This can only be achieved with the straps in an outboard position. Also, having the straps (and consequently your foot) out on the rail gives more control over the pitch of the board as you carve through the turn. Similarly, with jumping, being out on the rail provides more speed and power for boosting off of ramps. Sailing slow on a board that wants to go fast is not going to improve your skills.

In the end, it all depends on the sailor and what they are trying to achieve. Experiment and don't be afraid to take a break to make adjustments.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inboard.

The things that are potentially better with straps outboard (top end speed, sailing upwind) require considerable skill to actually get the performance. Develop those skills with straps inboard...you'll get there much faster. When you are planing out of 50% of your jibes is the time to play with straps outboard (if your aim is to improve your skills.)

Because you're light, you can get away with straps inboard and back, but only if you sail fully sheeted in and committed to the harness. You can get a bit more speed this way if you want it."

I can't believe what you're recommending, because it's so wrong. With this kind of help, mamero will be doomed to very limited growth potential foolishly thinking that he must be some kind qualified expert to take advantage of outboard footstraps. Unbelievable.

I can only hope that mamero will be adventurous enough to take a chance and step out of the limited box you're creating for him.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Strap Postion Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
One of the keys to gybing successfully is to enter the turn at top speed, fully powered up.

Very true.

bred2shred wrote:
This can only be achieved with the straps in an outboard position.

Very untrue. I think you meant to say this can best be achieved by slalom style boards with the straps in an outboard position.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
... (entering) the turn at top speed, fully powered up ... can only be achieved with the straps in an outboard position. Also, having the straps (and consequently your foot) out on the rail gives more control over the pitch of the board as you carve through the turn. Similarly, with jumping, being out on the rail provides more speed and power for boosting off of ramps.

Then how can anyone jibe or jump a wave, FSW, global wave, freestyle, wave/slalom, etc. board? They don't even HAVE outboard strap provisions.

I disagree with just about every statement and implication in that post. Sure, outboard boosts speed, but at the expense of control and maneuverability, especially for non-experts. One may think maneuverability is important only in maneuvers, but isn't a riproaring, high-speed, fully planing jibe -- THE golden ring of every aspiring intermediate or advanced WSer -- a maneuver?

I made virtually no (planing) jibes until I learned to carve rights and lefts at full speed, because only then did I develop a sufficient feel for board handling to plane through jibes on anything but absolutely FLAT, completely uncrowded water. Straps out on the rail are not conducive to any of the above. (Sure, the extra speed encouraged by riding the rails also encourages altitude, but only if the driver has the skills to maneuver his gear to the right spot at the right time.

Then there's the landing after the jump. I can only imagine -- because I wouldn't TRY it for all the rice in China -- the risks to novice or intermediate ankles while trying to learn jumping handicapped by outboard straps.

If inboard straps are training wheels, why do the best wave sailors in the world run inboard straps?

Here's the sequence Mother Nature intended. Who are we to mess with it?

1. Get born.
2. Lie there and piss and crap our pants incessantly.
3. Roll over onto our stomachs and crawl.
4. Stand up.
5. Walk.
6. Run.
7. Buy a windsurfer.
8. Learn to uphaul, get moving, turn around, plane, handle gusts, waterstart, control our board and rig well enough to get back to our launch site, maybe chop hop, etc. -- i.e., the basics -- in that very general order.
9. Learn to plane through jibes.
10. Learn everything else we wish, whether it's winning some drag races with our buds, serious jumps, freestyle, organized racing, ripping up waves, enjoying extreme winds, and/or much more.
11. Grow old.
12. Revert to #2 above, then die.

Somewhere in there comes -- if we so choose -- all the hoops most of our friends jump through, such as education, career, a family, etc. The sequence of those options is irrelevant to this thread, but messing with the sequence of # 1-10 is often counterproductive. Many of us see you as hoping to go straight to Expert by seeking the perfect gear, setups, and techniques in the hopes of bypassing the basics of the novice and intermediate phases plus parts of the advanced stage. I'm sure I'm not alone in considering that quest unrealistic for mortals. This is not jet skiing, kiting, pooping, or eating. And, hell, I'm still improving on the last two at 74.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I disagree with just about every statement and implication in that post.

Eh, you're probably right.

Actually, after further consideration, I don't really think it matters at all whether you put your straps inboard or outboard, forward or aft, just so long as you get in the front foot strap first.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
just so long as you get in the front foot strap first ...
sm

... and use 34" harness lines. Very Happy
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better go install some inboard strap inserts on my formula board so I can gybe better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: