myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter sailing skills don't match my summer skills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my cures for the risks associated with sailing in really cold conditions was driving to the lee side of the lake. A breakdown there would lead to a boring 5 minute drift to my launch site, as opposed to an hour of struggling if it happened at our usual midlake sideshore launch.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who get out the golf course occasionally during the winter know that a reduction in skill level during cold weather is not restricted to windsurfing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSMu2V0wNJM
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy- I love that GoPro video you shared. Short, well edited, and mad skills. It makes cold water sailing almost look fun Wink Thankfully, it is still warm here in TX.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic, but ordinary board surfing can feel warmer in mid winter than windsurfing, in that the majority of the time is spent swimming in the water. (Warmer than freezing wind chill. and surfing best when glassy and wind free.) Sessions usually last for a couple of hours for most.

I checked one of our local beach cams at first light (7.30 AM) on Monday morning. Surf was up and there were FIVE rippers out there in it! I'll almost guarantee that they were all youngsters getting in a session before having to belt home (board under arm and in wetsuit) to quickly change and rush off to school.

Such is the level of winter seasports over here, nowadays. A pity that windsurfing has taken a back seat to that, and to kiting. But wetsuit improvements have reflected (or perhaps led) the trend - though made to measure is still the best.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx wsurfn! We have a ton of videos on our vimeo, youtube, and facebook pages. You can definitely get lost down the worm hole if you want to ... Laughing

Well I just had a nice 40 degree day and used the Ianovated suit for the first time this year (it has been unusually warm up until now). I was pleased to find that all of my statements hold up- no forearm fatigue, and fingers were toasty warm and good to go.

The only thing that would be not so fun with the Ianovated system is if you had to do a long swim with the open palm mitts, which Gurgle had mentioned earlier. You could swim with your hands in a fist, but that isn't very efficient. Or maybe as a safeguard you could attach a pair of sealed gloves to your harness, which you could use in case of emergency.

If you are interested in seeing a quick video the 40 degree sesh, follow the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/windnc/videos/1482490061805703/

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: